Sterling vs. Stingray

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by ToneFreak11, May 3, 2011.

?

Which is better?

1. Sterling

37.8%
  2. Stingray

62.2%
  1. ToneFreak11

ToneFreak11

Having started a Jazz vs. Precision poll a few months ago, which had lots of success, I decided to do another one. I don't know if this has been done before, but it's a Sterling vs. Stingray poll, certainly basses that need no introduction. These are Ernie Ball Music Man's top basses, being perfect for any kind of music, mostly common in hard rock, post-grunge and funk.
    Personally, I prefer the Sterling. Even prefering the P neck to the Jazz neck, the Sterling neck is pretty smooth and solid, thin as the Jazz neck, if not more. The option of series mode is great, and the preamp is way better than the one on the Stingray. But the main motive of my choice is the use of ceramic magnets on the Sterling. They sound way better than the Stinray's Alnico pickups. Also, it looks way cooler!
    Having voted for the Jazz in the other poll, but then changed my mind, I'm confident that that isn't gonna happen this time. The Sterling is a killer bass.
  2. sethlow3

sethlow3 Supporting Member

P VS J has been done a million times, and so has this... BUT!!!

I could see the merit in doing a poll for both again seeing how the Fenders have changed dramatically since 2008 (American Standards ROCK!), and Music Man basses have also arguably changed a lot in the last 5 years.

The pickup configs have changed and the 5 strings now include the Sterling as well. I personally love Stingray 5's a lot, but since we are talking 4 strings here I'd opt for the Sterling. The Stingray 5 and Sterling 4 used to have the exact same electronics. Both I previously owned and would again in a heartbeat. The Sterling's thinner neck and more variations in tone win every time for me. Which is why I'd pick the Jazz over the Precision also.
  3. Selta

Selta

Disclosures:
    Uncompensated endorsing user: EBMM
    I'm sure I'm in the minority, but I much prefer Sterlings over Stingrays. If anything else, the neck fits me better, and they seem to more commonly be lighter basses. And they just kick ass.
  4. dbnet03

dbnet03

Sterling for me as well.
  5. Register to disable this ad
  6. drewk

drewk

For me, it has to be stingrays all the way, but hey if the glove fits...
  7. MingusBass

MingusBass Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Sweetwater Sound-Sales
    StingRay for me. I prefer the neck, body and sound to any Sterling I've played and I've actually owned two. I still have a 'Ray5.
  8. sebastian

sebastian

Which ever one you want to choose. Play, feel and tone are a personal choice. Personally I like a Stingray!
  9. stingray2112

stingray2112

I'm gonna have to go with the ray on this one. I've never found Sterlings to be the sound I'm looking for in a bass, but the stingray has everything I need out of a musical instrument.
  10. stflbn

stflbn

Big Al 5 - it does both.

:bag:
  11. xxjazzbassist

xxjazzbassist

I'm a stingray man myself
  12. S.B.

S.B.

Im a Stingray man, love the sound over any sterling I have played. :hyper:
  13. VanillaThundah

VanillaThundah VERY enthusiastic walks... Supporting Member

Media:
    + 1

Fewer neck and hand cramps for me :bassist:
  14. BassNoobs

BassNoobs

Love the feel and tones of the Sterling, took a few mins to adjust to the smaller feel, but instantly loved it. Prefer Stingray 5's over the 4's. Had a 96 Stingray 5 which I sold, so recently purchased a MM Sterling Ray5, made in Indo bass, which I like and will be gigging with it tomorrow night. Set up was great straight out of box. Good cheap 5 string IMO
  15. 73jbass

73jbass Gold Supporting Member

Sterlings for me all the way!
  16. pringlw

pringlw

Sterling. A Sterling with Rotosounds gives you the most growly pi$$ed off bass in the history of bassdom. Every time I break that combo out I get great comments on my tone. In my case I play a Sterling HS and play it in position 4. Deep. Angry. In your face. Yum. Stingrays are great too but they are more grounded and refined. Give me the snarling dog.
  17. trunkshope6

trunkshope6

I love the stingray and is my goto bass,but I would love to own a sterling now that I've gotten used to jazz necks
  18. scubaduba

scubaduba Supporting Member

I voted Sterling due to the neck profile and smaller body.
  19. PSPookie

PSPookie

I voted "Yes"
  20. fuzzychaos

fuzzychaos

I like the Sterling. Smaller body, ceramic pups FTW.
  21. AMp'D.2play

AMp'D.2play Supporting Member

since i just picked up a stingray slo special a little over a week ago, i vote "both".