1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TB Android app is working, you may need to uninstall/reinstall. The iPhone app is now updated and should work after you upgrade. TalkBass is responsive to any screen size, so we recommend using your mobile browser for full functionality.

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

Steve Harris extremely sloppy in these isolated live tracks

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by GianGian, Jun 19, 2013.

1. GianGian

GianGian

I recently stumbled upon these isolated bass tracks from the live album Flight 666 on Youtube and I thought that this was worth sharing.
    Aces High isolated bass:

I would never think that his playing could be so sloppy. I've always looked up to him when learning to play bass and I was very disappointed when I heard this. I mean, his rhythm is very inconsistent, it sounds very amateurish.
    I imagine that the person isolated these tracks from the 5.1 mix from the DVD. I am quite sure that these are legitimate tracks. I have compared the full band and isolated tracks, and even the ending matches the notes.
    It it also interesting how little of it we can notice in the full mix.
    I am not meant to bash Steve Harris or Iron Maiden, but I wanted to hear some opinions and share my disappointment.
  2. Scott Sauna

Scott Sauna

I absolutely agree. Those tracks sound horrible and if I recorded them, I would be ashamed. The tone is fine but his sloppy finger-style is awful. The same can be said for Cliff Burton on his isolated tracks. Some people really need the precision of say...A PICK???
  3. Marial

Marial Proud Papa-to-be Supporting Member

I find a lot of these isolated tracks reveal imprecision, some more-so than others. Listening to some of The Ox's solos in isolation might make one wonder why he's held in such high regard too. These are still human beings making music, and in a live context, especially when running around like a madman like Steve Harris does, it's to be expected it isn't going to be studio perfect.
  4. Lee Moses

Lee Moses

I'm sure that's the problem. If only somebody would have gotten this guy a pick, he might have achieved a modicum of precision.
  5. DiabolusInMusic

DiabolusInMusic Functionless Art is Merely Tolerated Vandalism Supporting Member

Wow... that was pretty bad to the point where I question the authenticity. I am sure they are him though.

I expected the usual "OMG he has fret buzz when isolated ***!!!???!!" posting, I was not expecting such poor time. And was it just me or did I hear some bum notes in there?
  6. billiam5billion

billiam5billion

All I know is, I'm so freakin' glad nobody ever isolated my live tracks, I've put some stinkers out there! I was in the studio recently putting down some very basic country stuff, just fifths and whatnot, and my tracks in isolation sounded pretty bad. Sitting in the mix though, they were dead on.

It's the P-bass syndrome-sounds weird in your bedroom alone, but sits on top of the kick drum like a champ.
  7. Gisli

Gisli

Are those real?
  8. Tractorr

Tractorr

When I saw Maiden I could hear no definition in the bass but this seems like the norm for large metal shows. Competing with the guitar and drums all you really get is some lowend rumble. This combined with how much those guys run and jump all over the stage makes sense why the live recordings are not that great. In other words, the shows are more about energy they aren't really about sitting and enjoy the chops of the players.
  9. chuck norriss

chuck norriss Supporting Member

I have a feeling that isnt harris.
    what the hell are those pants bruce is wearing
  10. chuck norriss

chuck norriss Supporting Member

11. Epitaph04

Epitaph04 Supporting Member

Listen to every metal/rock bass track ever made. The majority of them are a "sloppy mess".

Bass guitar is a noisy instrument. It's just how it is. I'm sure either him or the producer were perfectly fine with the tracks. Notice how you had to isolate the track in order to actually hear the "slop", so does it really matter in the end?
  12. Shinji

Shinji

Not as good as he could be, but are you saying you've never played a song poorly at a gig?
    Give the guy a break would ya?! He's an incredibly successful artist and who are you?
    God damn there are some real smug ****s on this forum.
  13. Duckwater

Duckwater

Oh well, he gave us decades of great music and amazing bass playing. I'm pretty sure at his age, he just wants to play and have fun now.
  14. Meddle

Meddle

Ever heard the isolated bass track for Reign in Blood? It is one sloppy job! Most isolated bass tracks sound terrible. Fret buzz, bum notes, wandering tempo... the works.

Steve has a bright tone and he plays right over the pickup. If he played down at the neck he might have a more consistent attack. Who knows? Doesn't change my opinion of him, which is that he must be good if he can do that for a few hours at a time.
  15. Duckwater

Duckwater

Calm down, most of us here are musicians and we have a right to criticize. Steve Harris is one of my favorites; and I would have never evolved into a decent player if it wasn't for his inspiration, but these tracks are pretty dang bad. If I caught myself playing that sloppily, I would hit the practice room until I worked out my kinks.
  16. billiam5billion

billiam5billion

Check out John Lennon's isolated Fender VI stuff from Helter Skelter and tell me it matters how it sounds on its own. Isolated tracks are silly.
  17. Timmah

Timmah

Confession: I haven't listened to the tracks.
    Observation: if the playing is sloppy and off a little bit, I'm going to give Mr. Harris props. Why? So many bands tweak and nip and tuck their live albums to the point that it isn't really 'live'. If they released this 'warts and all', that to me says they care about the 'soul' and the energy of the live performance, and they prioritize it. I respect that.
  18. joebar

joebar Supporting Member

there is no way it is him
    if it is , then i am a bass superhero.
  19. Duckwater

Duckwater

That is what I have always loved about Maiden
  20. HeavyJazz77

HeavyJazz77 Supporting Member

I enjoy Steve and Maiden, but he's no surgeon. Sloppy, noisy, I mean the guy plays through a guitar amp for crying oultoud...