1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

Steve Perry in talks for Journey comeback

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Richland123, Feb 9, 2014.

1. Richland123

Richland123

Steve Perry in talks for Journey comeback

Rock supergroup Journey are edging closer to a reunion with legendary frontman Steve Perry.

The Don't Stop Believin' singer has revealed he and former bandmate Neal Schon are in talks to reunite the classic line-up.

He tells Classic Rock magazine, "We’re trying. It’s tough. I’m doing my best in that area, and I can only do so much."

The news comes less than a year after Perry suffered a cancer scare, and he admits the health emergency made him take stock of his life and career.

He adds, "The older I get, the more I do realise how important what we had all together and how it worked. The older I get... the more I realise we brought that out of each other. I brought things out of them, and they certainly brought a lot of my vocal stuff out of me."

Schon sparked reports that a Perry reunion was in the works last year when he reached out to the singer on Facebook, writing, "We had amazing chemistry together. I love him with all the love and admiration you could even have. Steve, let’s talk soon."

Perry was Journey's frontman from 1977 to 1983. He reunited with his bandmates twice in the 1990s but was replaced after injuring his hip in 1997.

His successors have included Steve Augeri, Jeff Scott Soto and current singer Arnel Pineda, who was hired after Schon spotted him on YouTube.com performing with a Journey tribute band in his native Philippines.

It isn't clear when Perry plans to rejoin the group, but Journey have North American dates with Steve Miller Band and Tower of Power booked for May and June.

2. Caustic Crunch

Caustic Crunch

Kinda sucks for Pineda, who's been busting his balls singing those insane parts all this time.
    Hell, if the Eagles can do it, anybody can.

3. Dave W

Dave W Previously bassgod0dmw Supporting Member

I read an article yesterday that basically said Pineda wants out and has asked the band to be let go from his contract. He doesn't like all of the touring and being away from his family.

4. Twobass

Twobass

I guess they want one last big pay check. Steve Perry isn't going to sound the same at 65 but I'm sure they'll sell out where ever they go.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. DiabolusInMusic

DiabolusInMusic Functionless Art is Merely Tolerated Vandalism Gold Supporting Member

Ripper Owens got work after Priest, I am sure Pineda can find work after Journey.

7. nashvillebill

nashvillebill

Don't know about Perry, but have you seen Sammy Hagar sing with Chickenfoot? He's 65 and can still belt it out like nobody's business. (Do a search for their live version of Highway Star)

8. Twobass

Twobass

Sammy never stopped singing, he had never taken a long break. I haven't heard anything from Steve Perry in almost 20 years. Those Journey songs were tough to sing 30 years ago.

9. GK Growl

GK Growl

Does this mean that Steve Smith would be back in too? I think I'd be more excited about that.

10. Kmonk

Kmonk

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist: Fender, Spector, Ampeg, Curt Mangan Strings
    This has been in the works since the summer. The last I read they said Perry would do some shows but Pineda would also remain in the band. Doesn't make much sense to do it that way. Either bring Perry back full time or not at all.

11. Richland123

Richland123

Gregg Rolie will be touring with Ringo Starr and his All-Starr Band again this year.

12. deeptubes

deeptubes

Their best years were with Gregg. When he left and Jonathan Cain stepped in, they really started to wimp out. Love '70s Journey.