1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

Steve Vai's tone on bass

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Aceman778, Nov 10, 2012.

1. Aceman778

Aceman778

Hi!!

i am a huge fan of steve and i play bass...
    i know his guitar tone such amazing. is there any way to "clone" his tone on bass??? is there any effects can help me?? because i play bass for many years and a little bit sucks on guitar...
    :help:

2. The Lurker

The Lurker Supporting Member

harmonizer, overdrive, and several months' worth of fiddling with the EQs.

3. Aceman778

Aceman778

so.. what kind of overdrive and harmonizer pedal i need to clone his tone? some people said boss overdrive works... if its true??

4. jim777

jim777 Tarantula Lobbyist

Big fan of Vai and the Jem guitars, moderator on Jemsite, etc, what exactly are you trying to do? He uses Eventide harmonizers, but there are lot of breakdowns of his gear available. Have you looked on Vai.com?

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. Aceman778

Aceman778

what i trying to do here is clone his tone on bass! you know... such an insane thing. but this is what i trying to do.

btw i'm not the jemsite's moderator i just a bassist who like and try to clone steve's toneon the bass....

7. Plstrns

Plstrns

Tone is in the hands. I've seen Sheehan play through someone else's combo at a dive and still sound like Sheehan.

8. Atomic Al

Atomic Al

This
    Sheehan sounds like Sheehan no matter what he plays, you could give a guitar player all of Steve's gear and he won't sound like Steve. His sound is years and years of developing his own unique style.