1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TB Android app is working, you may need to uninstall/reinstall. The iPhone app is now updated and should work after you upgrade. TalkBass is responsive to any screen size, so we recommend using your mobile browser for full functionality.

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

Stevie Wonder on Sesame Street

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by timbros, Oct 3, 2012.

1. timbros

timbros Supporting Member

This episode forced me to watch every Sesame Street for weeks when I was a kid........just so I could see it again!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_ul7X5js1vE

Probably been posted before, just wanted to add that this tune had more to do with me wanting to be a musician than anything I can point to in my childhood.

Take Care,
    Timbros.
  2. johndough247

johndough247 Supporting Member

I'm about 10 - 15 years too young to have seen this episode but wow...that probably would have had the same effect on me. Things like this sometimes make me wish I was born just a wee bit earlier in time...(though I wouldn't trade my childhood for anything)
  3. hrodbert696

hrodbert696 Supporting Member

I don't remember too many specific episodes, but I was a kid watching Sesame Street during this era and LOVED it. Much cooler than it is now. And I remember rediscovering that video a couple years ago - love how they just go on and jam out on the show. They'd never let an artist do that now.
  4. darthplagis

darthplagis

wow, imagine if kids TV was like this these days.

its probably one of the best live versions i have heard too :) and that chord that seems out of place in the opening riff is sweet (is it a suspended, it sounds like it).
  5. Febs

Febs Supporting Member

I've been watching a lot of Sesame Street recently on Netflix because my 13 month twins love it, and I had the same impression. But it still seems like a good option for them to watch compared to a lot of the other kids programming out there.
  6. Tupac

Tupac

7. kerrycares

kerrycares Supporting Member

who is the bass player?
  8. bassistjoe93

bassistjoe93 Supporting Member

Boy, Ron Jeremy can really tear up a trumpet! Who knew?
  9. timbros

Bass player was Scott Edwards.

Take Care,
    Timbros.
  10. DaZombieWoof

DaZombieWoof

Ron Jeremey is a classically trained pianist, he having commented about how people might look at him and suffer "pianist envy". No idea if trumpet ever was a skill.

I am a fan of a number of performances on Sesame Street like Litle Ritchard doing Rubber Ducky and REM doing Shiny Happy Monsters, complete with a spot on muppet version of Kate Pierson of the B-52s who sang on the original song.
  11. SteveC

SteveC Supporting Member

That is the bass line I play when I do this tune. I was tired of what I had been playing for years and finally searched to se if there was a better line. There was.
  12. eyeballkid

eyeballkid Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Records of Existence/PyrE owner
    between that and soul train I was a Stevie fan very young!
  13. hrodbert696

hrodbert696 Supporting Member

Yeah it's a good line. I just realized that usually play it like Stevie Ray Vaughan's version, which is way too similar to Play that Funky Music.
  14. timbros

I'm not taking a stand on that one.

Steve Madaio or Ron Jeremy? You decide.......

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Take Care,
    Timbros.
  15. JimK

JimK

Congrats! When this video link was initially posted here @TB (approx. 3-4 years ago?)...most thought it was Anthony Jackson.
    That's Ray Parker, Jr on guitar.

Back in the day, I recall seeing this band perform a few times on different TV Channels...a classic performance was the In Concert show that came on Friday night @11:30pm.
  16. Caca de Kick

Caca de Kick Sponsored by Jagermeister Supporting Member

If I remember right, that bassist has been here on Talkbass. Right?
  17. JimK

JimK

18. octaverazor

octaverazor

I love the two Orange stacks two feet behind him!!! Mutron on the top of the keyboard.....awesome!
  19. PJSim

PJSim

20. scottgedwards

scottgedwards

Hello PJSim. On that Brazil clip of Stevie Wonder 1970, that's me, Scott Edwards on Bass, Al Thompson on drums, Bill Jones on Ist guitar, Craig Fall on 2nd guitar, Art Baron on trombone, Billy on Sax, Bobby on flute and the director is Gene Kee. Later.
    Scott Edwards