stickiest and not gummy?

Discussion in 'Bows and Rosin [DB]' started by peterbmetcalf, Nov 12, 2012.

1. peterbmetcalf

peterbmetcalf

HI Everyone...I used to use Pop's bass rosin, but the quality changed in 2011 to be less sticky and more gummy. Pop's denied any changes in their manufacturing, so I suppose it is Earth changing its whiskers. Now, in Nov. 2012, I have finally tired of it. What in your experience is the stickiest and least gummy rosin other than Pops? Thanks a bundle!

2. Ryanpet42

Ryanpet42 Guest

Kolstein soft. Very sticky, yet harder than Nyman/Carlsson. Almost like a cello rosin.

3. Ryanpet42

Ryanpet42 Guest

4. DC Bass

DC Bass Supporting Member

Far be it from me to dissuade anyone from switching from Pop's- never cared for it myself, but that is neither here nor there. Are you sure you are/were getting fresh cakes of Pop's? I don't know how age affects it, but there is a lot of talk here amongst those that dig Pop's rosin that getting fresh cakes is essential.

Just sayin'...

Joe

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. DFW5String

DFW5String

Get Kolstein soft, the bass sounds so much louder and the packaging with the silicone cup is very good

7. JoeDaddio

JoeDaddio

On warm days the silicone cup re-forms the rosin pretty nicely, too :)

joe

8. srbbass

srbbass Supporting Member

+1 on Kolstein Soft

9. Phil Rowan

Phil Rowan

I'll give a little plug for bassrosin.com, which I (and other's I'm sure) find supplies the freshest Pops. Also, I'll give a plug for keeping rosin (still in its container) in a ziplock bag with a drop or two of water at all times except maybe when travelling to/from a gig (could still keep it in a ziplock bag though, just without the water).

10. Thumpie

Thumpie

Right now I've got two cakes of Pops. One fresh and soft and the other somewhat dried and brittle. I use them both; it only depends upon which one is closest to my bass.

I don't think the type of rosin you use is really as important as some people make it. Just practice, practice, practice. It takes years to learn a good double bass bowing technique and really start to get comfortable. Whenever I try another new type of rosin (when someone offers), I'm quickly able to adapt to it. It's just a question of how much to apply. A little at a time.

11. Matt Burri

Matt Burri

Kolstein soft is great. Been using it pretty much the entire time I've played with a bow. Switched to Pops briefly and have been very happy since I switched back.

As many people will tell you though, freshness really is the most important factor.

12. eerbrev

eerbrev

I'm going to throw a wild card into the mix. Ever tried Clarity rosins? they're synthetic (for hypoallergenic purposes). The winter rosin has got lots of bite without the Pops "sizzle". I like it a lot, and I use the summer rosin too (though the winter is totally useable in steamy temps). It converted me from Pop's, which was getting harder to get, and get fresh up here in the Great White North.

eerbrev

13. stefaniw80401

stefaniw80401

Been testing out Salzman bass rosin for the last few months. James does not use any wax in his formula, as you'll find in many others. Down side (of waxless rosins) is that they tend to be a little dusty. That said, to the OP question, Salzman #9 has been my favorite out of the bunch (#6 thru #10). #10 being the softest. #9 is great for orchestra, and great for the high solo work as well. #10, while being plenty sticky, is not too gummy. I know exactly what the OP is saying.

For me, Nyman and Kolstein are too gummy for the higher work. Earlier this week, I took a couple of swipes of Kolstein soft and thought "what have I just done to my bow!"

You can find Salzman rosin at: http://www.salzmanrosin.com/

14. Edvin

Edvin

That's definitely my experience.
    My teacher get's a new one every month from bass rosin store. I change cake every three-four months but i don't use rosin that much right now (applying once every week or so).
    Pretty often i heat up my pop's to make it feel like new!