1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

sticky situation - 2 guys, 1 keyboard

Discussion in 'Band Management [BG]' started by Burt35, Mar 28, 2014.

1. Burt35

Burt35

I've gotten myself into a bit of a predicament. As I am in the process of starting my own band, I recently reached out to a monster keyboard player (I'll call him "Herbie") whom I've played with before in the past, and got along with quite well on a personal level. Based on his current music projects and day job, I didn't expect him to accept the gig, but felt I had to put it out there, as he is such a truly special player.

Later that same day, I did a "cold call" on another great keyboardist ("Joe") whom I've never worked with, and don't know personally, but whom I've admired as a player for years, and I knew he was looking for a gig. A guy with mega industry experience, and formerly in a hugely popular band. Well, he got back to me almost right away and said he found my vision for the band very interesting. And while he expressed extreme interest and said I could pencil him in, he fell short of a full commitment, and said he'd touch base with me later over the weekend.

Well, lo and behold, several days later, I finally heard back from Herbie, and to my astonishment, he was totally gung ho to join my band. Unsolicitedly, he offered to write charts and organize things. Massive enthusiasm, everything you could want.

Meanwhile, the weekend came and went, and Joe still hasn't gotten back to me. Fortunately, Herbie is pretty chill and is not the kind of guy who requires immediate email responses, so, while I sort this out, I have held off on telling him how excited I am that he accepted my offer.

Right now, I am leaning strongly toward Herbie, and wish I hadn't contacted Joe. :meh:

Obviously, this situation was my own doing, but what should I tell Joe? I don't want to burn any bridges.

(Just to clarify, he's a great player, but he may not work out anyway, as we don't know each other, and may not have the right chemistry.)

Thanks guys!

2. Joe Louvar

Joe Louvar

Go with Herbie, and just contact Joe today, thank him and tell him the position has been filled.

3. lfmn16

lfmn16 Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    I'm a Fuzzrocious-aholic. It's been one week since I bought my last Fuzzrocious pedal.
    I'm not sure what the dilemma is. Tell Joe one of your long time friends expressed interest in the project and you decided to go with him. You appreciate his consideration and you hope to work with him in the future. Better to tell him BEFORE he accepts.

4. Joe Louvar

Joe Louvar

+1. Yep. And contact Joe right away - today.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. ejmy

ejmy

Take them both, 2 keyboard players in a band is great. As long as they want to work together.

7. Stealth Fighter

Stealth Fighter

ejmy took the words right out of my fingers. If these two guys can get along with each other, they could be the silver bullet that sets your band apart from the competition.

8. Burt35

Burt35

Update:

Joe just got back to me......and has accepted. Now what??? :help:

9. Passinwind

Passinwind Charlie Escher Supporting Member

Media:
    Albums:
    This is Talkbass. Fire them both and ragequit yourself to boot. ;)

10. deepestend

deepestend Supporting Member

Media:
    You need to take control of the situation. Just man up and tell Joe what happened and leave it on good terms. Don't let it all get any further out of control.

11. mellowinman

mellowinman Guaranteed to break the Ice at Naughty Parties Supporting Member

Media:
    Albums:
    How is this even a question?

Sorry Joe; Herbie accepted first.

Or:

Herbie's in; you're out.

Be direct and honest with people.

NOT a sticky situation at all.

12. Winfred

Winfred

lol! Beat me to it.

13. bassgod0dmw

bassgod0dmw Supporting Member

Why did you let him accept when you already had Herbie committed?

14. vishuddha

vishuddha 100% Mediocre Supporting Member

"Well, Herbie already committed. Sorry, Joe. Thanks for your time and good luck!"

Done.

15. Joe Louvar

Joe Louvar

Hmm, yeah you should have contacted Joe right away and told him that the job has been filled. Oh well, "should of" and "could of" isn't going to help now. If payroll allows, and the two keyboardist can work together - maybe take both of them. Otherwise, you need to tell Joe 'TODAY" that the position has been filled, just be honest with Joe and tell him exactly what happened and be very polite - but keep it short too.

16. Joe Louvar

Joe Louvar

+1. Yep, and do it right now too, as in today.

17. mellowinman

Media:
    Albums:
    Well, if he had Herbie committed, then technically, the job is still open for Joe. Let's hope Joe is slightly more sane than Herbie, and that Herbie is getting the treatment he needs, so that one day, he can become a functioning member of society again.

In the meantime, I want to kow what they spilled all over the keyboard that made it so sticky. A good solution of mild dish soap and water, used sparingly, can often clean off honey, sugar, maple syrup, and the like but if there is something petroleum-based, like tar, the OP will need a chemical cleaner, and they will have to be very careful not to damage the keyboard.

If Herbie's keyboard is the one that got all sticky, I would think the problem sort of solved itself. If Joe's keyboard is the one that got all sticky, why couldn't he just borrow Herbie's, until Herbie gets out of the institution?

18. mellowinman

Media:
    Albums:
    This reminds me, wasn't there a Brady Bunch episode entitled "2 Guys, One Prom Date with Marsha?" We all know how that one turned out. Marsha tried to set the less good-looking guy up with Jan, but he didn't appreciate all that hostility, so he ended up settling for Mrs. Brady. Man, was THAT embarrassing for us kids watching at home!

19. FretNoMore

FretNoMore * Cooking with GAS * Supporting Member

Media:
    Albums:
    I don't see what's sticky - call they guy you don't want and talk to him, explain how this happened and say I'm sorry and I apologize, hope to work with you another time. But do it ASAP. If you haven't already, get on the phone now.

20. Joe Louvar

Joe Louvar

Yep. OP it's important that you do it ASAP!!!

21. ejmy

ejmy

You know what Stealth ? We had it all figured out but apparently are way was too easy LOL