Stiff Pain On Middle & Ring Fingers (Plucking Hand)

Discussion in 'Technique [BG]' started by DustinBass, Jul 25, 2008.

1. DustinBass

DustinBass

Hey,
    Recently I've been noticing that I've been getting a stiffness near the base of my middle and ring fingers on my plucking hand (I play mostly fingerstyle, little slap & pop).
    I've also noticed that these pains usually only come the day after I play shows, and not during. The past 2 days I've played shows, and yesterday I had the pain from the show the night before, but I played through it. Tomorrow I also have 2 shows.

I am wondering if you guys could let me know if it's just the muscles getting a big work out, or something more serious. I play very hard at shows, and it's a hard habit to get out of because it just doesn't feel or sound right sometimes. Ironically, last night I actually had to tighten one of the screws on my pickups because apparently I've stripped the screw out because of the way my thumb rests on the pickup

Here's an image to show where the pain is. It's not a constant pain.. I feel it mainly when i stretch out my fingers or pull them back, and it sometimes feels like they want to "stay" that way if I pull them back.

Let me know if there are any other details I can provide!

[​IMG]
  2. pbassturk

pbassturk

i got that same thing from working on motorcycles. Repetitive motion will wear down your joints. take a nice hot shower as close to your gig as possible. Place your hands palms to wall with the water running over them and your forearms. Slowly slide them down and hold them till you feel like you can move them again and do so.
    Take about ten minutes with this every day and you'll ward off the Carpal Tunnel demons.