1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

Stiff right hand when playing fast octaves

Discussion in 'Technique [BG]' started by azian32, Jan 10, 2013.

1. azian32

azian32

Hey Guys
    So When i play fast octaves or anything fast thats a string apart (right on time - RHCP and c'mon girl - rhcp) my index and middle finger go stiff.

I anchor my thumb on the pickup and alternate fingers, at first its nice and loose, has a bit of a bow in it (sometimes not at first) than it goes stiff and im pretty sure thats why my hand gets alot of tension in it, also makes my playing sound sloppy...

I curl my pinky finger in my hand (relaxed) so i know my pinky and ring finger are relaxed and not causing tension.

Any help will be great :)
    Thanks
    Mark

2. fearceol

fearceol Supporting Member

The chances are that when you rest the thumb on the pick up, you also rest the forearm on the top edge of the bass body. This causes a restriction of the tendons through the carpel tunnel. Another restriction is caused by the wrist being bent.

This may not be your problem, but it is worth investigating.

Also, make sure to warm up first with gentle stretches.

3. azian32

azian32

Thanks for the reply :)
    nah i don't rest my arm on the bass because i can tell just from trying it that its bad for you... Also it means i can add more versatility to reach the G string.

I guess i just need to take it slow and gradually get faster with the right technique.
    What are some stretches that you recommend?

Cheerss,
    mark

4. fearceol

fearceol Supporting Member

5. Register to disable this ad