1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

Stiffed by promoter paid by the mob

Discussion in 'Bass Humor & Gig Stories [BG]' started by Metalbasspro, Sep 9, 2013.

1. Metalbasspro

Metalbasspro

There used to be a club in San Diego Run by the Mob in Vegas. The staff all looked like ex hit men who had to retire other then the babes serving the drinks.

This band manager from one of the bands that played in the same practice place we rented from booked a show for his band and needed some openers. We heard we'd be paid 50 dollars a gig. We played two gigs with this act.

After the show the manager said we were getting stiffed by the club, nothing he could do about it. The Draw was not big enough he said. OK we accepted it, we just wanted top play.

A week later I get a 50 dollar bill in the mail addressed to the band via my address. NO mention about what it is for. I bring it to practice and we split it telling them I have no idea who sent it ir for what but it is the amount we got stiffed for. Later we play the second show and get stiffed again. Same story even though the club was full. Again a week later I get another 50 dollar bill in the mail.

I don't know if the band manager was lying or what. If the Mob found out and made it right? Who knows. Seems to be honor among mobsters.

I still count it as one of the more strange things that happened during my ten years as a practicing musician.

2. Floyd Eye

Floyd Eye Banned

Probably more a matter of keeping records and what all.

3. Metalbasspro

Metalbasspro

Right, those old school mob bookies.

4. Floyd Eye

Floyd Eye Banned

Those mobsters didn't get rich by paying taxes or anything.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. petrus61

petrus61 Supporting Member

Was there a return address? Sounds like the promoter was "borrowing" the pay...

7. Metalbasspro

Metalbasspro

NO return and no way to tell what it was for. Nothing written on a note or anything.

8. UK Philip

UK Philip

why would "the mob" make it right?

you were given the honour of paying 50 bucks to play the venue, under false pretences, and now you're being strong-armed by their reputation into accepting it.

why exactly did you pay that 50 dollars so easily?

9. Ric5

Ric5 Supporting Member

Stiffed by promoter paid by the mob

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

You don't ever want to owe the mob

10. Ukiah Bass

Ukiah Bass Supporting Member

Good to know the Mob knows your address.

11. MatticusMania

MatticusMania LANA! HE REMEMBERS ME!

The OP did not pay anything, he received $50 in the mail.

12. hdracer

hdracer Supporting Member

$50 to split with the band for doing a show?
    I wouldn't load my gear for that.

$50 a member? Yeah, if I didn't have anything else to do.

13. salcott

salcott

I did a gig at a Mob joint years ago, and after waiting long enough to chalk it up to experience, got a phone call to come collect my pay, showed up, and got $150 in rolled quarters.

14. HolmeBass

HolmeBass Supporting Member

That's pretty crazy. I guess so you could put them all in a sock and go collect a few more $$ on the street? :bag:

15. bluesblaster

bluesblaster

I dont even consider leaving the house for less than a $100 bucks a guy.

16. nojj

nojj Guest

Unless you get an offer you can't refuse..........

17. Will Kelly

Will Kelly Supporting Member

Played a gig once where we all showed up, set up in a ballroom and waited. We stared at the caterers and hotel staff and twiddled our thumbs. 600 seat ballroom.

No one shows up. We wait for over an hour past the event start time.

Mobster lookin' dude comes in, pays everyone in cash, and tells us all to go home.

F'ing weird.

18. Slough Feg Bass

Slough Feg Bass

not really mob story, but I used to play with a rap group in the 90's, and we played some interesting venues, and often times the "promoter" was all talk and no money.

I wasn't about to argue with some of these folks over money, but several times, when the promoter didn't pay up, we'd be loading gear into the car, and a large man with very nice clothes would come out, tell us how he enjoyed our act, and give one of us an envelope with some nice crisp 100's and a couple joints. I'd be like, "Who was that guy?" and then someone would just say, "hurry up, let's get outta here!"

19. petrus61

petrus61 Supporting Member

Ha! I went to see one of my drummers other bands a few years ago. It was a nightclub ski crowd made up of mostly frustrated Long Islanders seeking tail. The owner offered them double to pack up and leave after their first set. Apparently, Jimmy Buffet tunes don't woo a crowd like that like they used to!

20. twocargar

twocargar Supporting Member

Interesting. Which club? I grew up in SD.

21. G On Bass

G On Bass Previously Grateful Supporting Member

This ^^^ :bag:

Don't accept any waterproof, horse-head sized packages.