1. Welcome to the premier online community and classifieds for bass players!

Register a free account to post, remove lots of ads, and more!

stiffest rounds of all?

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by williamk, Nov 21, 2012.

1. williamk

williamk

Apr 2, 2008
    hi all
    I really like tight stiff strings (I hate sloppiness!) can you recommend me the stiffer ones? I like low action with a nice stiff feel (which is somehow hard to get on a p-bass I find..!). I love Sunbeams, so maybe something similar in sound? Thanks!

2. Lemon Of Troy

Lemon Of Troy Banned

Nov 6, 2012
    Palmetto State
    Maybe a string that's designed for downtuning, but tune them to standard. Like DR DDT.

3. Marton

Marton Supporting Member

Sep 20, 2005
    Quebec
    Low-riders are supposed to be higher tension than sunbeams.

4. williamk

williamk

Apr 2, 2008
  5. Sponsored by:

6. Steve

Steve

Aug 10, 2001
    Dean Marklee SR2000 Will Lee's are stiffest I've ever played.

7. Duckwater

Duckwater

May 10, 2010
    USA, Washington
  8. NKBassman

NKBassman Lvl 10 Nerd Supporting Member

Jun 16, 2009
    Winnipeg
    I don't think this is a great idea. Those strings are meant for BEAD tuning, I'm pretty sure. I had a set of those and tuned them up to C standard and they were ridiculously tight. You'd end up breaking something before tuning them to E standard. Plus you'd need to get the nut on your bass modified to take the thicker string.

I like tight strings too, and just recently started using D'Addario Pro Steels 50 or 55-110 for standard tuning. They're not too bad, but there's probably tighter options out there. I think Hex Core strings are supposed to be tighter than normal, of which DR has a few options.

9. Really? I find them quite flexible for such big (IMLE) strings.

--Silvie

10. Caca de Kick

Caca de Kick Supporting Member

Nov 18, 2002
    Seattle / Tacoma
    Lowriders were very noticably higher tension than highbeams to me. You could also really see it by the forward pull on the neck tension.

11. jamminology101

jamminology101

Aug 22, 2012
    Indianapolis In
    Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist: Glockenklang
    Rotosound ss swing 66s sound pretty good and r a hex/higher tension string n u can get em in varying thickness till u find a tension u like...I use em for all half step down tuned songs with band and they feel about like most other reg strings tuned in 440...have to relieve ur truest rod a lil tho.....no biggie

12. Low-Riders are stiffer because they have a hex core whereas the Sunbeam's have a round core.

13. joelb79

joelb79 Supporting Member

Mar 22, 2006
    Lansing, Michigan
    I've felt looser feeling Hex core strings than Lo-riders; so I'd be cautious to say that the ONLY difference between sunbeams and lo-riders is the core type. The wraps could be different, all leading to higher tension. I think sunbeams are higher tension than same gauge hi-beams. Materials differences make a ton of difference.

That said; Lo riders are some of the hardest strings for me to play all night long. The tension is too high, I'd probably like some of the lightest gauge lo-riders (which in my bain and love of other strings I have not been able to purchase and try yet). The lo-rider nickles sound best to my ear.

14. Highpost

Highpost

Feb 14, 2011
    ny. nyc
    +1

15. Fender Pure Nickels. I have tried a lot of different strings and they were the stiffest rounds I have ever had., much stiffer than lo-riders.

16. Lorenzini

Lorenzini Supporting Member

Dec 31, 2004
    Los Angeles
    Not surprised you don't like Sunbeams as they are probably the lowest tension strings available.

Lo Rider nickels are probably the ticket.