stiffest rounds of all?

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by williamk, Nov 21, 2012.

1. williamk

williamk

hi all
    I really like tight stiff strings (I hate sloppiness!) can you recommend me the stiffer ones? I like low action with a nice stiff feel (which is somehow hard to get on a p-bass I find..!). I love Sunbeams, so maybe something similar in sound? Thanks!
  2. Lemon Of Troy

Lemon Of Troy

Maybe a string that's designed for downtuning, but tune them to standard. Like DR DDT.
  3. Marton

Marton

Low-riders are supposed to be higher tension than sunbeams.
  4. williamk

williamk

cool thanks!
  5. Register to disable this ad
  6. Steve

Steve

Dean Marklee SR2000 Will Lee's are stiffest I've ever played.
  7. Duckwater

Duckwater

8. NKBassman

NKBassman Nerd Supporting Member

I don't think this is a great idea. Those strings are meant for BEAD tuning, I'm pretty sure. I had a set of those and tuned them up to C standard and they were ridiculously tight. You'd end up breaking something before tuning them to E standard. Plus you'd need to get the nut on your bass modified to take the thicker string.

I like tight strings too, and just recently started using D'Addario Pro Steels 50 or 55-110 for standard tuning. They're not too bad, but there's probably tighter options out there. I think Hex Core strings are supposed to be tighter than normal, of which DR has a few options.
  9. Silver Blues

Silver Blues

Really? I find them quite flexible for such big (IMLE) strings.

--Silvie
  10. Caca de Kick

Caca de Kick Supporting Member

Lowriders were very noticably higher tension than highbeams to me. You could also really see it by the forward pull on the neck tension.
  11. jamminology101

jamminology101

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist: Glockenklang
    Rotosound ss swing 66s sound pretty good and r a hex/higher tension string n u can get em in varying thickness till u find a tension u like...I use em for all half step down tuned songs with band and they feel about like most other reg strings tuned in 440...have to relieve ur truest rod a lil tho.....no biggie
  12. Solarmist

Solarmist Supporting Member

Low-Riders are stiffer because they have a hex core whereas the Sunbeam's have a round core.
  13. joelb79

joelb79

I've felt looser feeling Hex core strings than Lo-riders; so I'd be cautious to say that the ONLY difference between sunbeams and lo-riders is the core type. The wraps could be different, all leading to higher tension. I think sunbeams are higher tension than same gauge hi-beams. Materials differences make a ton of difference.

That said; Lo riders are some of the hardest strings for me to play all night long. The tension is too high, I'd probably like some of the lightest gauge lo-riders (which in my bain and love of other strings I have not been able to purchase and try yet). The lo-rider nickles sound best to my ear.
  14. Highpost

Highpost

+1
  15. bassboysam

bassboysam

Fender Pure Nickels. I have tried a lot of different strings and they were the stiffest rounds I have ever had., much stiffer than lo-riders.
  16. Lorenzini

Lorenzini Supporting Member

Not surprised you don't like Sunbeams as they are probably the lowest tension strings available.

Lo Rider nickels are probably the ticket.