1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

Stiffest roundwound nickels you have ever felt!!

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by Dredmahawkus, Jan 19, 2014.

1. Dredmahawkus

Dredmahawkus Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    I stuck a bass in my
    I am looking for your experiences with stiff roundwound nickels. I need a stiffer string to get a little better action on my select. I had it leveled yesterday and still am just not getting as good action as my other basses....I was thinking yo try something stiffer to get the action down another micohair! anyone try a good nickel lately that sounded really good but was just too stiff and high tension?

2. seang15

seang15 Supporting Member

3. 5stringthumpin

5stringthumpin Supporting Member

personally I play DR's. Hex core strings will usually be tighter than round core. My choice is DR nickel low-riders

4. Dredmahawkus

Disclosures:
    I stuck a bass in my
    I thought boomers were pretty low tension...I have a slightly used set in here somehwere....I think they are less tense then the superalloy I am taking off though.
    I have a bass with 8250s fender on them and they get super low action and are kind of stiff....I want something stiff like these.
    when I get my action really low its so much easier to play fast.
    I had a set of nickel low riders and traded them for sunbeams and hated the sunbeams...they were dead and way low tension.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. GK Growl

GK Growl

Stiffest nickels in order of highest to lowest in my experience:

Ernie Ball
    D'Addario
    GHS Boomers
    Dunlop
    DR SunBeams

7. mmbongo

mmbongo Chicken Pot Pie. My three favorite things!! Supporting Member

Ernie Ball and GHS Boomers for sure.

8. Dredmahawkus

Disclosures:
    I stuck a bass in my
    Maybe the boomers just felt loose on mythumb bass....I am going to go throw them on my select jazz and see how they feel.

sunbeams should never be in a top 10! forget a top 5!

I have a pack of XL170...and they are a bit stiffer...but they die in like 2 weeks...they sound great new.

anyone try Fender 8250s that come on standards....I find those kind of stiff...I want a stiffness like that.

9. Toptube

Toptube

SIT Rock Bright nickels are pretty stiff. At least as stiff as Daddario.

GHS Progressives aren't standard nickel plated. I believe they are an alloy 52 out wrap. But the core material makes them pretty taught strings. They generally feel 1/2 to a full gauge larger than they are, in terms of stiffness.

10. Dredmahawkus

Disclosures:
    I stuck a bass in my
    I have a fresh set of XL170s I will try them tonight after I watch my Pats lose!

I forgot my slightly used boomers were on my thumb...G string is a tad short for my jazz! lol

11. Geri O

Geri O

I use Ernie Ball Power Slinkies (Slinkys?) that are .050, .070, .085, .105, .135. More along the lines of medium gauge and close to heavy. This is one of the most balanced (Brightness, stiffness, long-lasting, etc) set of strings I've ever played. I can lay into them pretty hard without them boing-ing on me (look it up...:D). I'm trying to play a little easier these days, but they still work the best for what I do. But they ain't easy to find. The only place I can walk into and buy them off the shelf so far is Guitar Center.

Geri O

12. GK Growl

GK Growl

This is the exact set that I put on my Squier VM Jazz V yesterday. They are certainly stiff (I'm coming from using DR strings so anything is stiffer than those) BUT the stiffness is across all the strings. The sound is extremely balanced on all strings. Every other set I've tried always sounded like the B string was from another planet. These sound like an extension of the others. Lots of aggression and clank for a nickel plated string too. My ears are extremely happy and I'm sure my hands will learn to like the feel.

13. Stone Soup

Stone Soup

Nope.

14. Dredmahawkus

Disclosures:
    I stuck a bass in my
    I just threw on the xl170s and they were even less tense then the infelds I had on it....they sound very bland too.

but it did take a great set up...the strings are almost on the fretboard!

15. mmbongo

mmbongo Chicken Pot Pie. My three favorite things!! Supporting Member

Yep. Look at the GHS tension chart. Over 43 lbs. on a .105.

D'Addario is 40 lbs.
    LaBella is 38 lbs.

16. Duckwater

Duckwater

I would say GHS Boomer 52s or Progressives, both have a nickel/iron wrap on a steel hex core which adds even more tension onto an already stiff string. The tone is awesome too, lots of aggressive mids.

If you're used to standard gauges I recommend this set(awesome deal): https://www.bassstringsonline.com/-...oomer-52s-Balanced-Tension-45-105_p_1860.html

Otherwise I would recommend building a custom set of Boomers here, B52s and Progressives just don't have a lot of gauge options unfortunately: https://www.bassstringsonline.com/GHS-Bass-Boomers-Build-your-own-Custom-String-Set_p_545.html

Something like a 50-65-85-110 set would be high tension and well balanced, around 50lbs of tension average

17. Stone Soup

Stone Soup

Tension aside, the D'Addario strings feel stiffer, to me.

18. u84six

u84six Nobody panic, the bass player is here! Supporting Member

Dr Sunbeams are some of the lowest tension rounds out there. So many more come before it. I'm also surprised no one mentioned Rotosound. Some of their rounds are as stiff as bridge cable.