Stiletto studio / custom differnces

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by jazznfusion, Aug 19, 2013.

1. jazznfusion

jazznfusion

These are 2 basses im considering, the other being an ibanez SR500. can any current owners give me insight. ive only been playing a few months and have a SUB sb4, but am looking for something that sounds good , plays well and will last as its the only one i will be playing for a good while. thanks in advance for any help.
  2. IntrepidCellist

IntrepidCellist Supporting Member

The primary differences are neck-thru and a 3-band EQ on the Studio versus bolt-on and a 2-band EQ on the Custom. Both are fantastic basses, but the Studios are honestly some of the best values for a new bass under $1000, in my experience. Clear, punchy, modern sounds and excellent quality and playability.
  3. jazznfusion

jazznfusion

Thank you. a neck thru i take is a better build? the 3 band eq is similar to the SR500 then. is this correct?
  4. IntrepidCellist

IntrepidCellist Supporting Member

Neck-thru versus bolt-on is a taste thing, primarily. They sound different, but not dramatically so.

The SR500 has a 3-band EQ as well, but the SR500 pickups + preamp are darker and fatter in character to my ears than the Stiletto pickups + preamp, which are clearer and more balanced. You can compensate for either somewhat by turning knobs, but I (and this is a very personal thing) prefer the Stiletto.

The SR500 will have a smaller neck profile than the Stiletto as well, although both are quite comfortable.
  5. Register to disable this ad