1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TalkBass iphone/android app is NOT WORKING currently. We're working on it. Tapatalk IS working, so if you need to use an app, use Tapatalk. Try using your browser though - TalkBass is now 100% responsive to your phone/tablet screen size ;)

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

Stiletto studio / custom differnces

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by jazznfusion, Aug 19, 2013.

1. jazznfusion

jazznfusion Supporting Member

These are 2 basses im considering, the other being an ibanez SR500. can any current owners give me insight. ive only been playing a few months and have a SUB sb4, but am looking for something that sounds good , plays well and will last as its the only one i will be playing for a good while. thanks in advance for any help.
  2. IntrepidCellist

IntrepidCellist Supporting Member

The primary differences are neck-thru and a 3-band EQ on the Studio versus bolt-on and a 2-band EQ on the Custom. Both are fantastic basses, but the Studios are honestly some of the best values for a new bass under $1000, in my experience. Clear, punchy, modern sounds and excellent quality and playability.
  3. jazznfusion

jazznfusion Supporting Member

Thank you. a neck thru i take is a better build? the 3 band eq is similar to the SR500 then. is this correct?
  4. IntrepidCellist

IntrepidCellist Supporting Member

Neck-thru versus bolt-on is a taste thing, primarily. They sound different, but not dramatically so.

The SR500 has a 3-band EQ as well, but the SR500 pickups + preamp are darker and fatter in character to my ears than the Stiletto pickups + preamp, which are clearer and more balanced. You can compensate for either somewhat by turning knobs, but I (and this is a very personal thing) prefer the Stiletto.

The SR500 will have a smaller neck profile than the Stiletto as well, although both are quite comfortable.