Still after my sound

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by JaredBT, Apr 13, 2014.

1. JaredBT

JaredBT

Hi all, been playin a while but still don't know... how do the pros get their sound? Marco Medoza, the bass player for Whitesnake has the sound Im after. He's playin thru a Peavey bass and what looks like Peavy gear. Anyway, the best way I can describe the sound is its very "GRRR" ie. almost lit up. The minute I heard it I thought ah, SVT. Nope, Peavey. Not sure what hes using for effects... Can anyone help? Im playin through all Carvin gear. My main rig is a Carvin BX 1200 into 2x10 and 1x15 cabs. The sound that Marco has can be heard in their live show, Whitesnake live in the still of the night. Sorry to be so, uh... sophomoric about my description but don't know how else to describe it. Oh, axes are a Carvin SB 5001, a Carvin PB5 passive, a EBMM Stingray 5 and a Ibanez TR Expressionist 5 string.

J.
  2. Gearhead17

Gearhead17 Supporting Member

The sound you hear in a live setting can be a mixture of several different channels. One clean channel, a few dirty/overdriven channels, a DI of just the bass, a miked signal and so on. The sound man may have combined a little from every signal to create the tone you heard.

The GRRRR sound you describe just may be a little bit of overdrive, a pick and roundwound strings. Here is a pedal that could help you on your quest for a decent overdriven tone: http://www.darkglass.com/products/microtubes-vintage/

Start with your basses - roundwound strings and good pick technique is the majority of the battle. Once you have a nice amount of growl coming from the bass, it's just finding the right effect pedal to add the edgy/mean attitude.

I am only speculating here since I am not sure what year/era you are referring to for the specific tone you are referencing.
  3. JaredBT

JaredBT

Thanks so much, the sound can be heard in that video. Wish I could (or I should say knew how) to attach a link to the video here.
  4. bongomania

bongomania Gold Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    owner, OVNIFX and OVNILabs
    Is the video on Youtube or any other website? Then all you have to do is copy the web address of that page, and post it here. If you're watching it on DVD or some streaming service or TV channel, there are ways of ripping and posting the video, but that might be more involved than you want. But I bet somebody has already done the work, so search for the show on Youtube.

That said, GH17 is 100% correct--start with roundwounds and a pick, then add a decent overdrive. Search here on the word overdrive for suggestions.
  5. Register to disable this ad