1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TB Android app is working, you may need to uninstall/reinstall. The iPhone app is still pending approval by Apple. If you haven't yet, try using your mobile browser - TalkBass is responsive to any screen size.

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

Still any love for Markbass combos?

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by joeybcdt, Nov 18, 2012.

1. joeybcdt

joeybcdt

I've been using a Markbass 1-12 combo for a couple of years now. I'm very pleased with it. Lately I've been considering adding the New York 1-12 extension cabinet.

Is there a downside?

Joey
  2. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    Not if you love what you're getting out of the combo already. Adding a matching cab only improves the sound.
  3. nozkcb

nozkcb Supporting Member

I've gone full circle on my MB 102P combo. I started using it a few years ago and REALLY liked the tone to weight ratio, especially coming from an SVT 4-pro and a Mesa Road-Ready 6x10 cabinet. Then, I started getting into Aguilar gear and bought a TH-500 and swapped the MB amp for the TH-500 (b.t.w. fit like a glove in the combo cab).

Then, after a while I put the MB combo head back in the combo cabinet and used it last night and was again very happy with the sound. Note: I do use a BDDI in front of the amp to warm up the tone but it is still very nice sounding.

If only I could get used to the color. . . . .
  4. Russell L

Russell L

Still loving my CMD 121H combo, for the smaller gigs and rehearsals. And, I love the color.
  5. Buster Brown

Buster Brown

Still loving my CMD 121P and the NY 121 extension cab. My only complaint is that I don't get as many opportunities to play it as I would like.

Very much the best combo I have ever played. ;)
  6. B-string

B-string Supporting Member

Downside.....more to carry. That's about it.
  7. Russell L

Russell L

That's a fact. To get a fuller and louder sound than my 121H I use my LMIII head and at least one of my 151P cabs. The bigger speaker and bigger cab combination make for more SPL and a fuller sound. And the 151P is 1db more sensitive. It's easier to carry one 151P and he LMIII head than it would be for me to carry the 121H combo plus another cab just for it. Of course, in my case I woulda added another 121H cab, so that's a bigger package than your NY121 idea.

But, the NY121 cab isn't very big or heavy. It would give you a much fuller sound than with just the combo alone. I think you would like the sound if you don't mind carrying an extra cab.
  8. Winfred

Winfred

Been playing a CMD 102P for a couple of years. Added another 2x10 cab awhile back. Love it with or without the x cab. Gotta admit though, she thumps hard with that x cab.
  9. Davyo

Davyo

I used to be Mark Bass and thought I would not have strayed until I started playing around with GK gear.

Now I'm a total GK junkie owning their combo's, cabs and heads,,, my music room looks like a GK retail room these days.

I do sometimes miss my MB Berlin combo, NY 115 cab and 102p combo.

But my new love these days is my GK gear.

Cheers
    Davyo
  10. svt1233

svt1233

I use the cmd 12 and NY 121 together and it is amazing. I highly recommend doing iy
  11. Fergie Fulton

Fergie Fulton Gold Supporting Member

No down side at all, as has been said it will only help or improve.
    Good test of any equipment is the second hand market, if there is none or limited availability then everyone is still happy and hanging on to them and the price stays high.
    I would say the 1x15 is a modern classic similar to the Ampeg Fliptop, they are in many studios I record in as an option amp.
  12. Doner Designs

Doner Designs Steve Doner Gold Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Custom Theme Guitars for Donation to Non-Profits
    All upside if you like it. I'm a big fan and have the 2x12 mini stack. Love the modular aspect. A 2x12 in a single cab would probably have a deeper low end (larger shared cab) but it sure is convenient to be able to just carry one when you dont need two. Also one cab per hand is less awkward vs carrying one heavier unit.

If I could go back and do it over sometimes I think I'd get two cabs and a head instead, but the combo is really handy too. I also sometimes think I might go for a 2x15 mini stack instead (but it would not be very mini). In the end, I'd probably end up in the same place - the 2x12 is a great practical convenient and fantastic sounding mini rig.

One side benefit of the mini stack is the controls are elevated to where you can reach them standing up. I also sit my compressor pedal and Sansamp VT on top of the stack for easy control access.

I go thru phases when I consider disconnnecting the tweeter in the combo (the cab has a control) but tend to like the VLE between 10am and 12pm which gets rid of the piezo hisssss, so I always end up not tampering with the guts.

Alain Caron uses Markbass amps but I still don't sound like him for some reason. I guess I need to get an F Bass too. Maybe that will do the trick. ;)
  13. MuthaFunk

MuthaFunk

Ya know, I'm on my third FBass and I don't seem to sound like him either.... I bet all I need is a Markbass ;)
  14. theevilplankton

theevilplankton

MB Fan here too with the same set-up...121 amp with NY cab.

Never a gig goes past with a comment on the size and power!
  15. cchorney

cchorney Supporting Member

I'm at a year and a half into having and gigging with my MB CMD102P. Still loving it. I sometimes to have to plug into the PA - its a great 210 combo but still there are physical limits to the 210, which get reached far earlier than the limits of the amp. I've tried in the store running an extension 210 and it sounded the same, just a tiny bit louder, which is exactly what is expected. I also tried the combo with an Eden 115 and it changed the sound for the better I think (ie: more to my natural preferences), and I think it gave more volume, which may have to do with relative speaker efficiency or cone area. Either way, I love the combo for its power, weight, size, and flexibility.
  16. Bassamatic

Bassamatic keepin' the beat since the 60's Supporting Member

Are you kidding? My 121P is still the best thing out there. I could be making money renting to my friends that borrow it all the time. Finding another amp is not even a consideration.

I do wish I had the matching cab, but the Schroeder I got is also pretty good and nearly the same size.