1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TalkBass iphone/android app is NOT WORKING currently. We're working on it. Tapatalk IS working, so if you need to use an app, use Tapatalk. Try using your browser though - TalkBass is now 100% responsive to your phone/tablet screen size ;)

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

Still own an old rig? Share your pics and stories!

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by bass32, Aug 9, 2013.

1. bass32

bass32 Supporting Member

Another thread got me thinking about an old bass rig I still own, or at least claim to. I know the rules, no pics, it aint true.
    I have posted pictures of my '75 p-bass before, but never one of the entire rig I still own.
    Pulling all this out of the closet has been eye opening. It's made me remember a few things I forgot and has corrected my memory on a few things as well. :rolleyes:

I used this rig until '89. That's when I finally started updating my bass and gear. Starting with a black Power Jazz Special.......wish I still had that one. :crying: During those years I played anywhere from 2 to 5 nights a week with very seldom a weekend off. I did have one period of 6 months during that time that I didn't play due to personal reasons. So this rig saw alot of use.

The Peavey Mark III Head (Not Mark IV) has a date of 1979 on the front and Jan 1980 on the back, so it's NOT my original bass head like I thought. I remember now about the original head I purchased breaking down after a few years. I now believe I purchased this head in '81 or most likely '82. Currently this amp is in need of repair. It has a loud squeal when turned on.

The Peavey 2x15 cabinet I purchased the same time as my p-bass, '79. It did not have Black widows originally. I did blow whichever ones came with it and replaced them (don't remember the brand) in '86. One of these days I'll pull them to see. This cabinet still sounds great. I have recently hooked it up to my current rig, Hartke HA5500 head and 4x10 HyDrive cabinet. Man what a sound!

The P-bass is a '75 according to a serial number check on Fender's web site. I understand that if I take a look at the pots it could possibly be a '76. Something I need to do someday. I did purchase it in 1979 (Not '78) along with the strap, no brand marking on the strap. It looked brand new at the time, not a scratch on it. I was told it was a repo. I did replace the pups around '84/'85 (Not '79 or '80) with Dimarzio's. The bass is still in good playing condition.

It is the original case in the picture. :)

So if you have read my post before and you notice the details in this post differ.....sorry....just bad memory. I'm pretty confident I have things straight now.

PLEASE....if you still own your original guitar/rig or have owned one for a long time.....share your story and pics. I really enjoy reading about fellow forum members gear and the stories behind it.
    Of course I hope everyone feels free to make any comments, tell a story.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
  2. bass32

bass32 Supporting Member

Wow.....I thought for sure there would be some people on here that still have and maybe still use, a bass and/or rig they've had for awhile. Should have some good stories to go along with it.
    Come on guys.....let's see those vintage rigs and post some stories to go along with 'em!

Check out my current rack....or almost current. This pic was taken a few months ago. I've since replaced my 20+ year old SKB rack case with a new and better one. I also added a SansAmp RBI where the wireless is sitting.
    The Furman Plus, Korg tuner and dbx Compressor/Limiter was purchased sometime between 1990 and 1992. I still use them today on every gig and they work great.

[​IMG]
  3. ezstep

ezstep

Peavey made two different 2x15 cabs, IIRC. One was about 11" deep, the other about 19" deep. I used the deeper one for roughly 19 years as my main rig with a MusicMan HD150 on top. We also played many outdoor festivals and "whored" out our entire p.a. (usually me running the board) for a two-day or three-day festival. I would bring that same bass rig and would very often pull it out of the p.a. as it needed no support for a crowd of roughly 3-500 (outdoors).

I traded my MM amp to a guy who was actually looking for one. I gave the cab away to a budding bassist at the high school - no charge.

No photos of either. Sorry.
  4. rickster4003

rickster4003

Mine's rocking from the mid - 80's. Still working well. I bought original, sold to my brother and then got it back after 15 years.

Attached Files:

5. rootsnfifths

rootsnfifths Supporting Member

I had a blue sparkle Plush head and cabinet. My dad helped me buy it at 14 yrs old as I got into a band that played graduations and parties. We had like 2 gigs a week and rehearsed 4 days a week. We had an agent and a manager. All top 40 and constantly adding new songs to the play list.

A lot of hard work for a 14 year old!

The cabinet had 3 15 in speakers in it and the whole rig weighed a ton! I still remember the struggle to move that thing to gigs. Can't remember the details of the 'head' but I found a pic someone posted which looks very close to the rig I had.

Here's a story: We were playing a prom or something on a pretty big auditorium stage. One of the casters was always kind of loose. Yup, that 3-15 cab and head tipped over in the middle of a song. BAM. I just remember seeing the head bounce across the stage.

Thank goodness for all that couch-like cushioning as that beast kept working and not even a tube was broken. I no longer have that "couch" but will never forget it.
    Here's the pic:
    [​IMG][/URL][/IMG]
  6. rickster4003

rickster4003

I hade a custom '100' head that had the cushy plastic around it - Purple.
  7. bass32

bass32 Supporting Member

ezstep, I didn't know about the 2 different depths on the Peavey cabinets. I just measured mine and it's 15". So I guess that's the deeper one? :confused:

and rickster4003.....I like it. Keeping it in the family.
    The Peavey gear sure holds up, don't it?

rootsnfifths....I don't remember the Plush amps. Thanks for the pic.

I would love to have an old Kustom rig, but probably wouldn't use it on gigs. Too big and bulky to move around. No space here at home to keep one either.
    I remember when I was young and before I took up bass seeing alot of local bass players using Kustom. They were the rig of choice back then.

[​IMG]
  8. kcole4001

kcole4001

I had a Mark IV for some years back in the 1990s.
    Great, versatile head, and remarkable light!
    I ran it through a Yamaha S215 cabinet.
    Should have never traded it for a Traynor (I really missed the Peavey mid EQ section big time).
  9. jlepre

jlepre Supporting Member

Shouldn't this be in the AMP section?
  10. bass32

bass32 Supporting Member

OK by me and that's what they've done.
    My intentions with this thread was to have people show pictures of old gear that they still have. Any gear, not just amps and whether it's still in use or not. Also share some stories behind it. everybody has a story.....or 2.....or 3. :D
  11. Feral Feline

Feral Feline

"Still own an old rig?"

Thread title kind of precludes the "I had a [insert old gear here], shoulda never [sold it, broke it, gave it away, gotten rid of it...] :eyebrow:

As much as I enjoy the stories of gear-of-yore lost to the ravages of time, those stories belong in a different thread.
    It's the "still own" & "still have" that drew me to this thread.
    ;)
  12. bass32

bass32 Supporting Member

I understand your viewpoint completely.
    Hopefully some of the forum members who do still own some gear that they started out with or have had for several years will post some pics and the stories behind it.
    Let's just put it this way.....if this thread gets highjacked and heads some other direction.....as the OP it won't bother me a bit.
  13. Thornton Davis

Thornton Davis Supporting Member

Here are a couple of photos of my 1973 Traynor YBA-3 and YC-810 rig. I bought this amp new and used it for 15 or so years then retired it. It's seen a lot of gigs. 4 years ago I completely restored it.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I still own today. :cool:

TD
  14. Salamenster

Salamenster

That thing is beautiful! What does it sound like?
  15. millsbass5

millsbass5

I purchased a new laptop and don't know how to transfer my pics over.:confused: I've been gigging literally every weekend since 1983. And, during that whole time, I've played thru just 2 rigs. I started out with an Acoustic 370 head, with a 70's era Ampeg 8x10, loaded with JBL's. I used that rig for 13 years, or so, until I purchased the rig in 1996 that I'm currently using, an Eden WT800 w/2 XLT 4x10 cabs (all in Calzone Cases). I've also been playing the same basses since the mid-90's, too. Needless to say, I'm happy with my gear. :D

A soon as I figure out how to transfer 'em over, I'll post everything.
  16. dDaddybass

dDaddybass Supporting Member

I like this thread. :D
  17. rok51

rok51 Supporting Member

I had the same Mark III Bass and absolutely loved the thing. Stone reliable. The tone was there...sometimes it just took tweaking to find it. The flexibility of those heads was wonderful. Tube tone? Nah...not even close. But clean and louder than their specs would indicate. I used mine in conjunction with first a Centurion, then later, an XR600B to biamp my pair of 1810 cabs throughout the 80s. PA take dump? No prob...just grab one of the Peavey heads and go on...

kim
  18. ezstep

ezstep

Yeah, you are probably right - 15". It's been a long time....
  19. bass32

bass32 Supporting Member

Thanks. I was hoping everyone would enjoy sharing their old memories. I enjoy reading the posts.

It has been that. After pulling my old gear out of the closet and checking things out, I realized how my memory of a few things had gotten "fuzzy". I think I about got it all straight now.

We use to have family reunions with full "put together" bands. Usually my uncle would bring a few of his band members and friends. They were top notch country players back in the day. These guys could really play and I always felt lucky whenever the opportunity to play with them came around. Smooth.....effortless.....and tight. My uncle is 79 now and still plays 3 or 4 nights a week.
    Here's a picture from a reunion in 1983 where I played bass with them. I'm playing the p-bass through the Peavey amp/speakers in the picture I originally posted. The amp and speakers are cut off on the far right, but you can see enough of them. That's my uncle (Dusty) playing lead guitar.

[​IMG]
  20. bass32

bass32 Supporting Member

Nice restore job. Looks great.