Still trying cobalts?

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by uOpt, Jan 30, 2014.

1. uOpt

uOpt Supporting Member

Have a cart open at BSO and it still has the Ernie Ball Cobalts in it that I always wanted to try out.

I have come to the conclusion that nickel plated steel winds are not for me. I like hi-beams and some mellower SS hex cores (not the lo rider SS). Flats are a different matter.

Given those preferences, is there still a point in me trying the Cobalts? What are they like? Are they more like NPS on steroids? Or something entirely different?

The most likely target is my Thunderbird although it's not clear whether I put the original ceramics back or use the vintage style pickups.

Similar question for the Dean Markley NickSteels. I want a set because they are my favorite guitar strings and because Mike Mills uses them. Would you say there are generic hex/NPS strings or have something of their own to offer?

2. MoeGJBeener

MoeGJBeener Supporting Member

I strictly use cobalts. A lot of people hate them, and I'm not sure why. They sound like NPS Ernie Balls but with more of everything. More (clear) lows, more mids, more highs, more punch, and more life than the NPS's in my experience. I was on a mission for the best round wound for me since I was about 13. Now, at 27, cobalts have given me that.