Sting/51/53 style bass players, what strings are you using?

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by IPA, Dec 14, 2012.

1. IPA

IPA

I have some TI flats on mine, but I think I'm going to go back to rounds. The flats are fun but the sort of 'natural' tone is kind of dead with them. This bass had great character with rounds. Not sure what kind to get though.

2. JTE

JTE Supporting Member

I've had a set of GHS Precision Flats on my Sting for so long I don't recall when I put 'em on her, but at least for three years. Before that I had some TI's on that sounded good, but the same problem I've had with TI's on every bass I've tried them on- the feel under my plucking hand was just too weird, and the sound wasn't really what I was seeking, at least not enough for me to want to adapt to the change between basses.

I've also used Lakland stainless (made by GHS, I think they're the Super Steels) which I liked quite a bit, DR Hi-Beams (my favorite round for about 10 years now), one set of Fender 9050ML, which were only on for a week- HATED those nasty strings! I tried a set of what FMIC claims they shipped the bass with, but they weren't nearly as good as what actually came from Japan on my bass. My next try when I get around to restringing that one will be some nickle rounds, probably DR Sunbeams, but maybe the set of Dunlop nickles I've still got.

John

3. Turock

Turock Supporting Member

I have TI Jazz flats on my 51 reissue. They sound beautiful.

4. IPA

IPA

I'm thinking about Hi Beams or Sunbeams, I always hear good things about em. Not sure how much to worry about fret wear but this bass really doesn't need the frets to be any smaller than they already are!

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. JTE

JTE Supporting Member

Fretwear is really over-rated in my opion. I use stainless rounds on my fretless basses because that's the sound I want. Most fretwear is caused by aggressive attack, bending strings against the fret, a heavy fretting-hand pressure, and less by the alloys. While the original Rotosound RS-66 stainless strings have a (IME deserved) reputation for being harder on frets than other strings, it can be alleviated by how YOU play.

The RS-66 strings use(d?) a coarse outer wrap wire, and a harder alloy than most other stainless strings. But nickle rounds, and many stainless rounds by other manufacturers aren't nearly as abrasive. Plus, a LOT of the RS-66 reputation is due to them being the most common roundwound string when the market was moving from flats to rounds. Not because other companies didn't make rounds, but when people started reading Guitar Player Magazine to find out why John Entwistle, Chris Squire and Stanley Clarke sounded the way they did, they all talked about using not just rounds, but specifically Rotosound. Of course, if you compare the wear caused by nickle flats to a coarse stainless round, there will be more fretwear. But I don't think it's enough to keep me from using a specific set of strings.

Go for what sounds right, and chalk the wear up to use- just like brakes on a car.

John

7. Rip Topaz

Rip Topaz

Disclosures:
    Beta tester for Positive Grid
    Chromes on my Dillion 5204 (54 P copy).

8. vin*tone

vin*tone

TI JF's and love em. You're after a diff tone so I can't help here. :)