1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TalkBass iphone/android app is NOT WORKING currently. We're working on it. Tapatalk IS working, so if you need to use an app, use Tapatalk. Try using your browser though - TalkBass is now 100% responsive to your phone/tablet screen size ;)

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

Sting and The Police - Picked or Fingered?

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by Misterwogan, Nov 21, 2012.

1. Misterwogan

Misterwogan

Was Sting a fingerer or a picker or both? Listening to the songs, I can definitely hear the P-Bass tone but can't make out how they are picked. I watched an old live performance of Roxanne and he was using the pick - but it sounded fingered to me.

Any thoughts or insights?
  2. MonetBass

MonetBass ♪ Just listen ♫ Supporting Member

Definitely both. And Sting varied his approach from studio to live, so you never know. But his tendency was using a pick on the early stuff (Outlandos, Reggatta) and then switching to fingerstyle.
  3. Stick_Player

Stick_Player

He also incorporates the thumb-plucking technique (NOT as in slap) for a deeper, rounder tone. McCartney does it as well.

And, as Robbie Shakespeare does:

[​IMG]
  4. Revolver

Revolver

5. bassbrad

bassbrad

To further complicate matters in the studio Sting would often double bass parts on upright bass or electric upright and on a few occasions a keyboard.
  6. Misterwogan

Misterwogan

Yes, I've just watched The Police in concert in Tokyo 2007 and he is doing the thumb thing on Message in a Bottle.

I guess that for covers, it's just a case of picking the right style for the song.

I've done Roxanne on a P-Bass with a pick, and it just sounds very trebly but it works for the 8th notes in the chorus with alternate picking.
  7. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    Back in the Police heyday, I don't ever recall seeing Sting using anything but a pick.
  8. scottfeldstein

scottfeldstein Supporting Member

I agree. Pick or thumb-pick.
  9. Roy Vogt

Roy Vogt Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist: Accuracy, Carvin, Hotwire, Conklin Basses, DNA, Eden
    Here's the 1983 Synchonicity Tour. He's playing a white Spector with a pick.
  10. GLEN18INCHSPICA

GLEN18INCHSPICA

11. bassfart

bassfart Gold Supporting Member

You should try rolling the tone off a bit and palm muting near the bridge for the verse sections, you should get the sound you're looking for.
  12. ERIC31

ERIC31

Regatta De Blanc is my go-to Police CD. From what I can tell he plays his fretless P with a pick on a lot of it. I wouldn't say for sure though. I play my fretted P with a pick through a chorus pedal to simulate his sound on Walking On The Moon. Works pretty good to my ears.
  13. ggvicviper

ggvicviper P is the Key. Call me Marc or Marky Potatoes. Gold Supporting Member

Isolated Bass Track for Message in a Bottle.

Definitely a picked fretless bass. I think it's the Ibanez Musician, as it sounds like two pickups. Could be wrong - thoughts?
  14. matey

matey

walking on the moon is about the only song i can play and it sounds a lot better wif a pick aparently thats how he plays it :oops:
  15. Floyd Eye

Floyd Eye

16. drummike

drummike

Listening to the Melbourne 1981 bootleg, at some point between songs, Sting asks for a "plectrum." I think it was right before "Shadows in the Rain" which I thought he played fingerstyle on his Van Zalinge EUB, but it's possible he was using his fretless Precision or Ibanez.
  17. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    I could swear he used his EUB on "Shadows" at the concert I saw in 80, though I must admit it was 30 years ago ;) He used that and a red fretless Precision.
  18. Stick_Player

Stick_Player

Observe - no pick! :eek:

[​IMG]
  19. andreaska

andreaska

Nice to hear that. I'm realy sure that is the fretless Precision played with pick.
    And I think he got that Ibanez Musician just after the recording was released. Though you can see that bass in the video.

Does anybody know a isolated bass track for "walking on the moon"?
    The bass in the beginning sounds different to the end...

Regards from Germany
    Andreas
  20. ERIC31

ERIC31

The Police live at Hatfield Polytechnic 21.02.1979

Fretless P-Bass from the get go! =)