Sting Jazz Bass tone

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by danclaro, Dec 11, 2012.

1. danclaro

danclaro Supporting Member

Hi all,

Does anyone here know what strings Sting was using in his Ten Summoner's Tales (early 90s) period? In the video from the time where his band played the whole album, he's playing his 60s Jazz bass. At times you can clearly hear rounds, but are they nickels or steel?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KkLiFuRivzY

Thanks,
    Dan

2. Kmonk

Kmonk

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist: Fender, Spector, Ampeg, Curt Mangan Strings
    I've read that he uses DR High Beams .040 -.100

3. danclaro

Thanks, Kmonk. There doesn't seem to be any interviews online from the early 90s (or earlier) where he talks about strings. I really like his tone from the Police, and later in his solo stuff. I'm pretty sure he used a Jazz bass throughout, and I'm interested in why his bass sounds the way it does... I'm also on a bit of a string quest at the moment for my own J-bass...

4. JTE

JTE Supporting Member

DR ads used to say he used Sunbeams, at least on the fretless basses.

John

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. danclaro

The DR site currently says that he uses Low Riders LH-40 (40-100). I guess Sting likes DR Strings? Maybe all of them?

Might be a good idea to move this thread over to "strings"... Not sure how to do that...

7. two fingers

two fingers Loud Mouth Know It All Blowhard Gold Supporting Member

Is that supposed to be the actual recording? Did they record the album in the round at his house? Or are they just playing along with the tracks?

8. millsbass5

millsbass5

I can't believe they're playin' music at 8 o'clock in the morning on that video. I'd be so pissed.

9. danclaro

I remember reading that they did record the album at his house... That video sounds pretty live to me, but I don't know much about how they filmed it... There is a point where Sting's double bass falls and you can hear that crash on the soundtrack...

10. Swipter

Swipter

I put fender 9050L flats on my Jazz. They sound great and still have round like quality. Marcus Millers came off. Intonation was the only adjustment I did. I use a markbass LMII and Eden XST210 cab.

11. two fingers

What I want to know is did he record that album with a banged up SM58 for vocals? That would be AWESOME. Makes you wonder why people spend a gagillion dollars on mics.

12. danclaro

@Swipter - I've heard a lot of good things about those Fender 9050L flats. How long have you had them on your Jazz?

@two fingers - Wikipedia says that this video recording was done live at Sting's house. It's not the same recording as the album... SM-58 is a killer mic though...

13. two fingers

Dang. Just watched enough to see that this isn't live at all. They're just playing to tracks and made the whole "crashing upright bass thing" happen. How do I know? Watch the video just before and after the bass crashes. Some takes of Sting show the bass in the background and some don't. It will be there one second and not the next. Totally edited. In fact, Sting's backup vocals are all throughout the thing. Still a cool video. And watching him play those crazy bass lines while singing the whole time is just..... WOW. How does he do that?????

14. danclaro

That's funny! I hadn't watched it that closely... Still a document of that particular time, and that 60s J sounds very good.

15. Mojo-Man

Mojo-Man Supporting Member

:cool:
    Same here. I put a set on my fretless Jazz.
    Very nice, even, well balanced set.
    Nice top end.

16. Swipter

Swipter

Danclaro, last Sunday was the first day I officially played with them. I am an aggressive bass player and they handled it well. I go play easy and hard and just started with a pick, literally last Sunday. Loved them in all aspects. They seemed very dynamic in their sound.