1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. Register a FREE Account to post and unlock tons of features!

StingRay 2 band vs 3 band

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by ncapone, Jan 21, 2014.

1. ncapone

ncapone

Nov 17, 2010
    What is it about the 3 band StingRay preamp that doesn't give it quite the same tone? I would think that leaving the mid flat would make it sound like a 2 band but that's not the case. Why is that? A 3 band just doesn't sound like a StingRay to me, but the extra eq option is a great idea.

2. Mastermold

Mastermold Supporting Member

May 5, 2008
    Orange County, California
    Disclosures:
    Firemelon
  3. TalkBass Friendly Advertisement

4. You can always drop a John East pre amp into a 3 band Stingray. Supposedly sounds like the old style ones, but has a mid knob as well.

5. 73jbass

73jbass

Apr 17, 2004
    Ellenwood,Ga.
    Different frequency centers I think. Might get an accurate answer on the EBMM boards.

6. If you cut the mids a little and boost the bass and treble a little you will get the same sound more or less as a 2 band with the bass and treble boosted. I disagree that it doesn't sound like a Stingray - I have four stingrays one of which is a 2 band - they all get that classic tone and the 3 bands can get the signature Bernard Edwards, Louis Johnson, Pino Palladino, Tim Commerford sounds. At one time I used my 2 band fretted and 3 band fretless for different parts of the same gigs - I had to boost the mid on the amp to make the 2 band as present as the 3 band in the mix when changing one to the other. Both the 2 and 3 bands are great instruments. I will not be changing the pre amps in mine!!!

7. Dragan

Dragan

Oct 5, 2009
    I dont know about newer 2 vs 3 band,however for some reason, pre EB (with 2 bands) always sounded better than newer models. they say older preamp were different,and that is obviously true. also pick ups were probably different. I am not MM expert,but like said, there is something about 2 band StingRays....

8. georgestrings

georgestrings Banned

Nov 5, 2005
    IMO/IME, the 2 band has a slightly lower mid presence that's pretty much "baked in", whereas the 3 band has more of an upper mid presence to it... IMO, the 2 band's mid sound is sort of similar to a Spector - it just works really well in a band mix...

- georgestrings

9. They are different preamps, the 3EQ is not a 2EQ plus a mids control, it's a different design (not crazy different though, it still sounds very much Stingray!).

For a 2EQ plus mids control, check out the John East MMSR preamp.

10. mongo2

mongo2

Feb 17, 2008
    Da Shaw
    I've read that the 2 band is boost only on the bass and boost/cut on the treble while the 3 band is boost/cut on everything.

11. ncapone

ncapone

Nov 17, 2010
    Thanks everyone; I think I understand now. Not to say the 3 band sounds bad-- it totally doesn't! But they're just not the same and you all answered my question as to why.

12. Orpheus55

Orpheus55 Supporting Member

Nov 7, 2006
    Port Charlotte, FL
    I've had the three band since 09 and wouldn't change a thing. Run it all on flat settings with Stage III flats. KIller tone.

13. Mastermold

Mastermold Supporting Member

May 5, 2008
    Orange County, California
    Disclosures:
    Firemelon
    3 band works great for me too. EQ does its job, great tones.

14. Up the dose

Up the dose

Mar 10, 2013
    The three band goes to 11. Its one louder.

15. And listen to the sustain...