1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TalkBass iphone/android app is NOT WORKING currently. We're working on it. Tapatalk IS working, so if you need to use an app, use Tapatalk. Try using your browser though - TalkBass is now 100% responsive to your phone/tablet screen size ;)

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

StingRay 2 band vs 3 band

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by ncapone, Jan 21, 2014.

1. ncapone

ncapone

What is it about the 3 band StingRay preamp that doesn't give it quite the same tone? I would think that leaving the mid flat would make it sound like a 2 band but that's not the case. Why is that? A 3 band just doesn't sound like a StingRay to me, but the extra eq option is a great idea.
  2. Mastermold

Mastermold Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    FireMelon
    Sounds good to me.
  3. Down_Low

Down_Low

You can always drop a John East pre amp into a 3 band Stingray. Supposedly sounds like the old style ones, but has a mid knob as well.
  4. 73jbass

73jbass Gold Supporting Member

Different frequency centers I think. Might get an accurate answer on the EBMM boards.
  5. drTSTingray

drTSTingray

If you cut the mids a little and boost the bass and treble a little you will get the same sound more or less as a 2 band with the bass and treble boosted. I disagree that it doesn't sound like a Stingray - I have four stingrays one of which is a 2 band - they all get that classic tone and the 3 bands can get the signature Bernard Edwards, Louis Johnson, Pino Palladino, Tim Commerford sounds. At one time I used my 2 band fretted and 3 band fretless for different parts of the same gigs - I had to boost the mid on the amp to make the 2 band as present as the 3 band in the mix when changing one to the other. Both the 2 and 3 bands are great instruments. I will not be changing the pre amps in mine!!!
  6. Dragan

Dragan

I dont know about newer 2 vs 3 band,however for some reason, pre EB (with 2 bands) always sounded better than newer models. they say older preamp were different,and that is obviously true. also pick ups were probably different. I am not MM expert,but like said, there is something about 2 band StingRays....
  7. georgestrings

georgestrings Supporting Member

IMO/IME, the 2 band has a slightly lower mid presence that's pretty much "baked in", whereas the 3 band has more of an upper mid presence to it... IMO, the 2 band's mid sound is sort of similar to a Spector - it just works really well in a band mix...

- georgestrings
  8. mcnach

mcnach

They are different preamps, the 3EQ is not a 2EQ plus a mids control, it's a different design (not crazy different though, it still sounds very much Stingray!).

For a 2EQ plus mids control, check out the John East MMSR preamp.
  9. mongo2

mongo2

I've read that the 2 band is boost only on the bass and boost/cut on the treble while the 3 band is boost/cut on everything.
  10. ncapone

ncapone

Thanks everyone; I think I understand now. Not to say the 3 band sounds bad-- it totally doesn't! But they're just not the same and you all answered my question as to why.
  11. Orpheus55

Orpheus55 Supporting Member

I've had the three band since 09 and wouldn't change a thing. Run it all on flat settings with Stage III flats. KIller tone.
  12. Mastermold

Mastermold Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    FireMelon
    3 band works great for me too. EQ does its job, great tones.
  13. Up the dose

Up the dose Supporting Member

The three band goes to 11. Its one louder.
  14. mcnach

mcnach

15. mcnach

mcnach

And listen to the sustain...