1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

Stingray 5 H or HS

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by slickfif182, Dec 4, 2012.

1. slickfif182

slickfif182

I am about ready to get my first pro level bass. I have loved the stingray's sound and feel for years so I have decided on a Stingray 5 string. I can't decide between a H of HS model. I am unable to try either of them our before purchasing due to where I live :(

I feel the HS could give me a better jazzy sound for the few songs I play that require that sound, and I am also very used to resting my thumb on a neck pickup from my previous basses. However it is slightly more expensive and reasonably more difficult to find and order.

What do you guys think? Is it better or worse to have a neck pickup vs having that area open? Are the tone options significantly more versatile enough to justify the increased cost and difficulty of purchasing?

2. jlepre

jlepre

If you're leaning toward the HS then that is the way I'd go. More versatile sound. I've owned both.

3. spector_boogie

spector_boogie No Limit Honky Supporting Member

HS for sure. I have the HS/J+MM setup in my Lakky 55-94. Love it.

4. Dr. Cheese

Dr. Cheese Supporting Member

Personally, I would get a Stingray HH. They are extremely versatile. If you want the J/H for more of a Jazz sound, a Lakland would be a better choice because the humbuckers'coil can be split.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. georgestrings

georgestrings Banned

I really like my Sterling 5 HS much better than the SR5 HH it replaced...

- georgestrings

7. Caca de Kick

Caca de Kick Supporting Member

I've had a bunch of SR5's and the ones with dual pickups have worked better for me than the single H ones.

8. Stone Soup

Stone Soup

I'll be the first vote for the single H. I'm not a fan of the 2 pickup models.

I can get whatever I want out of mine. I play forward of the pickup on my single H, without a problem. Some players might need the additional pickup to use as a thumb rest.

9. StuartV

StuartV Out of GAS!! Supporting Member

I like my SR5 H and the only thing I would change about it is to add the Piezo pickup option (which is only available on the H, but not the HS or HH).

10. Durden26

Durden26 Supporting Member

My main bass is a SR5 w the Piezo option. It's a Growl monster. Been beating on that poor thing for 12 years. Love Her!

11. Im_telling_tim

Im_telling_tim

Like the other guy said I'd also try an HH. I'm not much of a 5 string player but I'd love to have one. One of the better low b sounds out there.

12. Musicman20

Musicman20

13. Tupac

Tupac

If you're a slapper, you might want to consider that a neck pickup may hinder slapping. Pretty sure that's why Flea only used the H ones.

14. Musicman20

Musicman20

I've been learning to slap on my HS Ray 5 and I've pretty much got it now. I've always played with a pick and over the past few years changed to 90% finger style.

I've never took slap too seriously but now I want to. You can easily slap on a HS/HH Musicman.

15. Freddels

Freddels Musical Anarchist Supporting Member

I've always preferred the H b/c of the series/parallel option as I really like the series mode.

I haven't had a chance to play the new SR5H's with the Alnico pickup. So, I'm wondering how the series sounds with the alnico pickup? Does it get too thick?

16. pickles

pickles Supporting Member

I've had H, HH, and HS. I think EQ (and the series parallel switch if its a sterling or a 5) on an H gets way more GOOD tones than the multi pickup rays, which get a zillion mediocre to workable sounds, but no other great ones, for me.

Lakland 55-94 is completely different than the ray HS. Not even in the same ballpark, pickup construction and position are totally different. The lakland is a J bass with a twist. Not a ray at all.

17. king_biscuit

king_biscuit Supporting Member

My experience exactly with Rays. On the other hand, the middle pickup on the Big Al is pretty cool.

18. Stone Soup

Stone Soup

I agree completely.

19. slickfif182

slickfif182

The only other tone that I am looking for besides the standard Stingray sound is a smoother warmer jazzy tone, which is why I started to lean towards the HS. Figure I'd be using the switch all the way back for the 'ray tone, or all the way forward for a jazzy tone. thoughts?

20. Freddels

Freddels Musical Anarchist Supporting Member

I used to own a Sterling HS. I sold it and got an H model instead. I found that the S on the HS model did not sound at all like a jazz bass. To me, for a jazz bass sound, you need the single coil bridge pickup. If you want a jazz type tone, then I don't think any of the Musicman basses will get you there (maybe the Big Al with 3 singles might). I love Musicman basses but I don't try for a jazz tone with them.

21. pickles

pickles Supporting Member

Agreed, nothing jazz like on an HS or HH. Better off with two basses. Or 3: P, J, Ray.