Stingray 5 replacement pu

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by Stingray57, Dec 3, 2013.

1. Stingray57

Stingray57

On an 07 stingray 5 what pu would you replace it with for hotter sound? Or is it not worth the trouble?

2. bassgod0dmw

bassgod0dmw Supporting Member

That year should have the ceramic pickup. It's pretty hot from the factory.

3. Stone Soup

Stone Soup

I have a '04. It's not much louder than a passive Jazz Bass, unless I dime everything.

4. LowBC

LowBC

Disclosures:
    Builder: www.MavourneenStrings.com
    I believe that pickup is wired in parallel. Perhaps experiment with a switch to add the series/parallel option - that will definitely thicken things up.

good luck!

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. millsbass5

millsbass5

Check out some aftermarket 'ray pups. They usually do a pretty good job of describing the tonal characteristics of their pups compared to the stock ones. I don't know if DiMarzio produces a MM pup. But, they're known for hot/hi-output drop-in pups.

7. Stone Soup

Stone Soup

Isn't the '07 a tri-coil? The switch would be (back to front) parallel, single rear coil w/dummy coil, and series.

8. bassgod0dmw

All single H SR5's are

9. Stone Soup

Stone Soup

I don't think so.

10. bassgod0dmw

All SR5's have a switching system. Single H has the options you mentioned. HS and HH are slightly different.

Post 2008 they have alnico pickups as the Sterling 5 has ceramics.

Single H SR4's do not have switching.

Unless you're thinking about the Classic series?

11. Stone Soup

Stone Soup

Nope. I'm talking about all Stingray 5 basses. Before '93, they were all standard alnico humbuckers, with no dummy coil. They then switched to ceramic with the dummy coil. Then, In 2008 (I think), they changed back to alnico and eliminated the single coil option, replacing it with a 'filter' instead. I'm just not sure whether the newest pickups still have the dummy coil. I've seen a photo of a newer pickup that looks like the dummy coil is gone.

EDIT: This is a 2007 pickup, without a dummy coil:
    [​IMG]

12. blindrabbit

blindrabbit Supporting Member

My old 1991 SR5 had a ceramic pickup without a dummy coil, and the three way switch. I think that the newer "Classic" SR5 is the only kind of single H SR5 ever that doesn't have the switch. I know the oldest and newest SR5s has alnico pups instead of ceramics, but I don't recall the dates of the switches.

Back to the OP…you want a hotter pickup? IME, these basses are plenty hot already, and it seems like some of the options out there that people seek are to mellow things out, if anything. If you need a hotter (!) sound, you might want to consider making adjustments on the bass, adding some pedals, changing your strings, or adjusting/changing your amp. The SR5 is, IMO, an already very aggressive bass, or at least has the potential to be.