Stingray 5 string Series VS Parallel? sounds similar to me...

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by atracksler, Dec 5, 2013.

1. atracksler

atracksler Supporting Member

I have a SBMM Ray35 that I really love the tone of.

I dont notice a huge difference between series and parallel when I'm trying to A/B the two… Are they really as similar as I think they are?

The filtered position sounds different, but just going back and forth between the front and era positions, Im not noticing a whole heckuvalot of difference.

Should I be adjusting the Treble/Mid/Bass as well?

Or am I just plum crazy? Thanks in advance for any insight
  2. bassgod0dmw

bassgod0dmw Supporting Member

Series should be louder, bassier, and basically more aggressive sounding.
  3. StuartV

StuartV Out of GAS!! Supporting Member

Funny, I went to a friend's house tonight to compare my EBMM Sterling 5 H to his SBMM Ray 35.

We started by playing them both through his small practice amp. Through that, none of the switch positions on either bass sounded hugely different. So, I went out and brought my amp in from my truck. With that, my Sterling sounded like it always does - quite a big difference between Series and Parallel. But, I noticed that my friend's Ray still didn't sound hugely different between its settings. I could hear more difference than when it was going through his practice amp, but still not as much as the different switch positions made on my Sterling.
  4. StuartV

StuartV Out of GAS!! Supporting Member

Oh, and I would not describe Series mode as bassier. I would describe it as stronger in the midrange.
  5. Register to disable this ad
  6. georgestrings

georgestrings Banned

I would describe it as both - stronger lows, more mid present, and louder than parallel mode...

- georgestrings