Stingray graphite neck?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Sleepwalker42, Dec 7, 2012.

1. Sleepwalker42

Sleepwalker42

Hey folks, I'm thinking to replace the neck of my Stingray Classic (the 2 bands one) with a graphite neck, anybody has an experience about it?
    Do you think that gives a drammatic change on the tone? Plus and minus? Good idea or not and why?
    Open to suggestions, thanks!

2. Baird6869

Baird6869 Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Nobody is stupid enough to actually pay me to play their gear.
    I owned a 100th Anniversary NAMM Stingray that came factory with a Status Graphite neck. I hated it and sold it within a few weeks.

I love my Modulus basses with Graphite necks, but IMO/IME.... A Stingray with a graphite neck is too clanky and the high mids were hard to dial back.

If you want a great bass with a graphite neck that can get kinda close to a Stingray, look for a used Modulus Quantum Sweetspot. They pop up in the $1200 range from time to time and the neck is the most playablle I have ever played.

YMMV.

3. Caca de Kick

Caca de Kick Supporting Member

To me, that's the beauty of the 2 band.

Essentialy what he wants to build is what the Musicman Cutlass was.

4. Achille

Achille

I own a 1997 Stingray - 3 bands - Status neck - to me it has only advantages except for the weight, for the rest is a fantastic instrument that feels like a bazooka :p

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. Sleepwalker42

Sleepwalker42

:hyper:

7. JTE

JTE Supporting Member

The one Cutlass I played (at NAMM the year they were introduced- that was a LONG time ago) sounded great, but I don't know after all these years if I'd still be enamored with it.

John

8. Sleepwalker42

Sleepwalker42

Thanks for the inputs so far.

The thing is that I love graphite necked basses and I love Stingrays, so I'm just damn curious to combine the 2.
    I guess I will just do it and see what animal comes out.

I tried to look for video, but there's not much out there. If you sight one please post a link, maybe I missed it.

9. CJboogie

CJboogie

I have a stingray single H '94 3band and i put on a moses graphite fretless neck on it.

And it rips! I luv it, if's my main axe for touring and recording, it's definitely a sound, i like that real porky lots of midrange to play with kinda sound it's got so much cut! So it's real easy to mix in the studio n live, pops straight out the front.

Only con with the moses is it's neck heavy so the neck dives a bit..

But in the end you just gotta try it.

10. bassman28

bassman28 Supporting Member

I have an 83 Cutless which is basically a Ray with a Modulus neck and would take no amount of money for it.It sounds awesome and with a 2 band you can't go wrong.

11. Sleepwalker42

Sleepwalker42

Now you're making my drool!

12. Sleepwalker42

Sleepwalker42

I tried to search for neck weight on Moses website with no luck, while on the Status website Rob Green states in the description that it weighs just about the same as a maple one.

13. CJboogie

CJboogie

Sweet I like the maple neck weight, if I get another sometime I recon i'll try the status necks.

Here's a pik of my ray..

Attached Files:

14. fourfinger

fourfinger

I wouldn't take any offer for my 83/84 Cutlass II either. It is my main player and sounds better than any bass I ever owned. It has a 2-band but also 2 pickups (like a Sabre instead of a Stingray).

2 things I use for smoothing out the tone: TI Jazz Flatwounds, and foam under the bridge. Even with both of those, and playing fingerstyle, mine has fantastic sustain and a crystal-clear (and warm) tone.

I say go for it, I bet you'll really like it!

15. ugly_bassplayer

ugly_bassplayer Supporting Member

I had a stingray with a moses graphite neck. I liked it. But consider this a very expensive mod. If your bass neck is ok I would not change it and instead look for a bass with a graphite neck already on it like an old Music man Cutlass or a Modulus.

The reason I sold it is that I,m not a huge fan of Stinrays. I think theyb sound awesome , they are just not my thing.

16. That Axe

That Axe

I have a Status Graphite neck on one of my p basses and it is one of the best playing necks I have ever played, the fit and finish is superb, and it added clarity and depth to the bass.

17. Sleepwalker42

Sleepwalker42

All very interesting to read.

My question to the present and past owners is how much of the signature Stingray bite does the graphite neck retains? Does the bass still sounds CLEARLY as a Stingray or it changes it at the core?

Also, I own a '78 pre EB all original and a Classic model, if you could choose, on which one would you mount the graphite neck?

18. racecar5

racecar5

89 Stingray 5 with a Modulus neck and a SGD Lutherie 2 band preamp. My main bass plays like no other.

[​IMG]

19. ugly_bassplayer

I still sounds CLEARLY like a Stingray. I would keep both of those stock and fing a beater sting ray to try the graphite neck thing. Believe me I've been down the exact same path you are going.

The one cool thing for me was the stability of the graphite neck. Very cool,

20. king_biscuit

king_biscuit Supporting Member

Musicman basses are already bright and compressed, why would you want to make one even brighter and more compressed with a graphite neck?

21. ugly_bassplayer

Having owned a graphite necked Stingray, I don't agree with your comment.