1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TalkBass iphone/android app is NOT WORKING currently. We're working on it. Tapatalk IS working, so if you need to use an app, use Tapatalk. Try using your browser though - TalkBass is now 100% responsive to your phone/tablet screen size ;)

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

Stingray H Vs. Stingray HH

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by TjMetalhead, Dec 6, 2013.

1. TjMetalhead

TjMetalhead

It's been my dream to own a real musicman stingray for almost 5 years and I'll finally have enough money by the new year...the thing is I'm conflicted between the H and HH models,(preference maple necks) has anyone played or owned the two? How does the sound compare? does that second neck pickup in the HH really make a difference? Thanks!
  2. drTSTingray

drTSTingray

I have both (the HH is rosewood board). The H is a great bass but the HH offers you four more very usable sounds straight from the toggle switch - in particular both humbuckers together gives a fantastic scooped slap sound and a great finger style sound.
  3. TjMetalhead

TjMetalhead

well I don't own one yet by the 5 years thing I mean i've been dreaming for 5 years lol...I mostly play hard rock and metal like iron maiden and AC/DC, I use a cheap SUB sterling ray4 stingray and it's nice (kinda a temp bass) but I want the real deal...and I actually like using flatwounds like steve harris
  4. basskababble

basskababble Supporting Member

I've had both. By what you play I would look for an HH. If you want the classic stingray sound the H provides it. I dont hear it from the single bridge toggled on the HH.

Also I used to play with a pick and loved the open space the H offered. Now that I play with both finger style and a pick I like the sound extremes I can get just from playing in different positions on the HH with both pups toggled.
  5. TjMetalhead

TjMetalhead

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

these are the two I'm considering SLO neck on both, but indecisive

Attached Files:

6. 73jbass

73jbass Gold Supporting Member

The H gives you the traditional MM tone of course,the HH will give you that plus 4 other coil combinations. I own Sterlings in the HS and HH variants,love them to pieces. IMHO,the HH is the way to go of those two you pictured.
  7. PotsdamBass8

PotsdamBass8 Supporting Member

If you don't mind the price difference and you're buying new, then I don't think there are any negatives to getting the HH other than losing that bit of space on the pickguard.

Personally, I never liked any of the sounds of the second pickup, and since I was buying my SR5 used, I knew that an H model would be easier to find and less expensive, so that's what I went with. To me the extra couple hundred bucks was worth saving. YMMV.
  8. eyeballkid

eyeballkid Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Records of Existence/PyrE owner
    ive had multiples of both.
    You can get the exact same tones from the HH as you do on the H, but the HH has ALOT more available tones. The front pickup by itself gives you a great Pbass kinda tone, the outer coils give you a great Jazz tone, and the inner coils give a nice beefy rock tone. Both Pickups on full doesnt give you the thick tone youd expect, its more scooped. The only drawback on the HH is that some people find the front pickup to be intrusive for their playing style, but I never had that problem and regret selling mine.
    That said, for years of playing loud aggressive stoner rock and doom Ive never found a situation that the H couldnt handle with ease!
  9. bassgod0dmw

bassgod0dmw Supporting Member

Where are the SR5 recommendations coming from? The OP mentions Stingray H and Stingray HH.

I've had multiple SR4's, SR5's, SR5 HH's, Sterlings, etc. My preference is for the single pickup models. I generally like the ceramic pickup models better, so Sterling or older SR5's. But I do have an SR4 that I absolutely love.

I sold all of the HH's that I've had, they're cool but I never really clicked that well with them.
  10. TjMetalhead

TjMetalhead

yeah! I'm not a big fan of 5 string basses (don't really need one for my music, and I don't know what to do with that B string, i like playing in E and D#) I just like the straight up 4 strings, I'm probably gonna go with the H cause I like crunchy bridge pick ups and not to mention I'm a big fan of Cliff Williams from AC/DC :bassist:
  11. Mastermold

Mastermold Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    FireMelon
    I bought my first MM bass a few months back and while (unlike you) I was looking for a 5 string, I was making the same query whether to go H or HH. After a bit of due diligence I decided the H was versatile enough with the 3 band EQ and pickup selector that it was all I needed. So far that's proven to be true for me and I'm really enjoying the bass. The H pickup can produce everything from bright tones to deep lows with the EQ. But I wouldn't see anything wrong with getting an HH for the extra tonal options, some players make good use of them.
  12. Freddels

Freddels Musical Anarchist Supporting Member

There's no pickup selector on the SR4H. Since you like the SR4, you should at least try a classic before you decide.
  13. TjMetalhead

TjMetalhead

14. jeff62

jeff62 Supporting Member

Play 'em both and figure out what you need. I owned both. Ultimately determinded that I really wanted the classic SR tone and the H was the solution. HH gave me alot of options that I didn't need or use. And that's why I have other basses. :D:bassist:
  15. Freddels

Freddels Musical Anarchist Supporting Member

Stingray Classic -- 2band EQ, 7.25 radius fb.
  16. TjMetalhead

TjMetalhead

The classic ones are super nice, but because of that fact out of my price range and I don't think you can get the thinner SLO (38 mm) neck and I want the mid control the the regular SR 4. I'm probably going to buy my SR4 from Guitar Center and trade in a old charvel bass to get credit and the 10% discount they do, I'm hoping for at least paying $1300 for it
  17. Mastermold

Mastermold Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    FireMelon
    Do the classic and regular SRs use the same pickups?
  18. negativefx

negativefx complete hack Supporting Member

TJ, I paid $1385 out the door for my HH at Guitar Center without any discounts. You can definitely talk them down to $1300 pretax without any trade ins if you play your cards right.

I had the cobalty sparkly HH with rosewood fretboard and the purpley bluey tortoise pickguard. Those are the best names I can come up with for the colors. :)
  19. senp5f

senp5f

I've had H and HH USA sterlings (hotter ceramic pups than the ray). If you have only one bass, get the HH. It is versatile enough to be your only bass even if you need to imitate a p or j bass. However, if you have those other basses, keep it simple with the H. You can often score a killer deal on an H (I just got my H from Freddels here on TB--he gave me a wonderful deal).

There are folks who say the HH versions can't get the exact same tone as an H, and that is probably technically true (different loading on the circuit, etc). To my ears there is no difference. the extra pup just adds versatility. Even if you spend most of your time on the bridge pup, more options are better.
  20. TjMetalhead

TjMetalhead

ooh really now? I hope I can, cause you know how GC people can be, and I'll still have another bass, I have the SUB Ray 4 bass, but I don't like the neck on it though feels really cheap and the frets kinda poke out a little bit, kinda cut into the palm a bit, very annoying, and I just don't like my charvel anymore, maybe a spector or something to replace the SUB and charvel.