1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. We are currently evaluating the "One Post Per Classified Ad" policy. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TalkBass iphone/android app is NOT WORKING currently. We're working on it. Tapatalk IS working, so if you need to use an app, use Tapatalk. Try using your browser though - TalkBass is now 100% responsive to your phone/tablet screen size ;)

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

Stingray HS config improving weak g string?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by hibass, Nov 16, 2013.

1. hibass

hibass

Hi Everyone!
    I need some input about HS Stingrays. I love my Stingray but can not eliminate the weakness of the G string. Already tried everything with p'up height adjustment, different strings, added highs with a pre but somehow it still tends to be lost in the mix even in rehearses or gigs. My jazzes function perfectly with very even and balanced tones, and want to bring out the same from my Musicman. It is a single humbucker model and I thought that maybe a HS configuration could sort out my problem. Somewhere I've read a single coil close to the neck helps but I just need some opinions of experienced players as well. Thank you
  2. wvbass

wvbass

I've never heard of this before...
  3. drTSTingray

drTSTingray

Don't dial in a heavily scooped sound on your bass and/or amp. With both pick ups on , you will probably need to run your mids boosted on the bass and the bass at centre detent or less. Boost the bass EQ too much and you can get this scooped effect.

Beware of trying to run your amp with the same EQ setting for the jazz as for your ray - all on centre or thereabouts is a starting point - big smiley face = big scoop (ie big bass boost big treble boost mid cut) - you don't need this with a Ray and is used to overcome the idiosyncracies of particularly fender basses.

You can easily get the same loss of G on a jazz running both pick ups on full.
  4. stonewall

stonewall Supporting Member

Ok my friend im gonna make you a happy camper here.Watch this video i had a 2005 Stingray same issue as you did exactly what this video suggests perfect fix not a band aid...the pods are adjustable :) http://youtu.be/h6qbVHvX29Q
  5. hibass

hibass

Thanks! I am experimenting with already and yes mids help to cut through but the real scooped rays sound just weak on g.......I might get a volume pedal
  6. hibass

hibass

Useful video cheers!
  7. DiabolusInMusic

DiabolusInMusic Functionless Art is Merely Tolerated Vandalism Supporting Member

The Stingray weak G is a fairly common problem and the threads come up regularly on TB. I expect this to turn into one of the usual pissing matches about how it does or does not exist.

I personally think it does exist, as mine does suffer from it. I also do not believe in boutique quality Squiers, 34" B strings that do not get overtones as you fret up the neck, or dragons. The latter being the only thing TB doesn't insist exists... yet.
  8. LightGroove

LightGroove

Best fix is to sell the bass. The issue you describe is inherit to these basses unfortunately.
  9. stonewall

stonewall Supporting Member

Hibass you will be done the adjustment and have your bass goin in 15 minutes.:bassist:
  10. drTSTingray

drTSTingray

I think you'll find the HS has different pick ups.

Fine if you feel you need it but mine sound fine the way they are (and particularly recorded - you don't get this problem in my experience so why perceive it as an issue through an amp or live). I don't recall famous pros having this problem.

Remember impressionable young people (or old) this can't be done on an SR5 pick and iirc not on a multi pick up Ray because they have different pick up cases - the SR5 is glued on.

You may have noticed the guy in the video had 105 through 45 strings - MM basses ship with 100 through 45 - this may make a difference - anyone (who thinks they have this problem) tried putting a light guage D string on instead of a G - surely better than resorting to a screwdriver or is that too simplistic???

And another point, if you tried to sell me an MM bass with the poles like that I would definitely not buy it. Mod your MM bass at your peril as far as comparable MM re salability is concerned.

Interesting idea though. Did it work - who knows? There wasn't a before and after and it wasn't a scientific experiment - could it just be a problem with Rotos
  11. Session1969

Session1969 Gold Supporting Member

Have you ever played it through a tube amp ? I noticed the weak G playing through solid state amps but through my SVT it seemed fine.
  12. drTSTingray

drTSTingray

Mine are fine through Mark bass.
  13. georgestrings

georgestrings Supporting Member

Huh???

- georgestrings