1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please make yourself at home! I've deleted the previous "migration" threads, please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum.

The TalkBass iphone/android app is NOT WORKING currently. We're working on it. Tapatalk IS working, so if you need to use an app, use Tapatalk. Try using your browser though - TalkBass is now 100% responsive to your phone/tablet screen size ;)

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

stingray neck/std/slo?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by ampeg2, Feb 4, 2014.

1. ampeg2

ampeg2

Is it possable to trade the rosewood standard neck on my stingray for a slo rosewood neck ? Thank you.
  2. boristhespider9

boristhespider9

Call Ernie Ball customer service and ask or go to the forum on the Music Man web site and see what you can find.

My guess...no.

The Slo Special is awesome by the way. I recommend an HS version.
  3. StuartV

StuartV Out of GAS!! Supporting Member

EBMM customer service is really good. If you go to music-man.com and click Contact Us, you can send an email and they will respond, usually within a day.

My suspicion would be that they did not change the Stingray body just for the SLO version, so, if true, the necks should interchange. But, that's just my speculation.

Personally, if I had a Stingray 4, and wanted the SLO neck, I would have a serious look at just replacing the SR4 with a Sterling 4. That will give you the SLO neck profile. And the Sterling, set in Parallel mode, will give you the Stingray sound. The only difference being a ceramic magnet pickup instead of an alnico. I personally prefer the ceramic sound as it's slightly more aggressive sounding. And, if you're talking about single H models, the Sterling will give you 3-way switching for more tone options, where the Stingray has no switching - it's Parallel only.
  4. ampeg2

ampeg2

I do have a sterling ,but played a/b the stingray just has a fuller richer sound just my opinion. The sterling neck has put me on this mission...
  5. bassgod0dmw

bassgod0dmw Supporting Member

I doubt EB will sell you one. They usually only exchange things for the same exact make/model/color/etc.
  6. boristhespider9

boristhespider9

I own both also. Just FYI, the Slo Special neck is not exactly a Sterling neck. It is 1.5 at the nut and is slimmer than a Standard Stingray neck, but is still a little thicker than a Sterling neck. I confirmed this with EBMM customer service. Also, the Slo Special has the same number of frets as a standard Stingray, which is one less that a Sterling, of course. I still love my Slo Special HS!
  7. Caca de Kick

Caca de Kick Sponsored by Jagermeister Supporting Member

I'm going to say no, because they have had people wanting to trade in necks with maple board for rosewoods boards and vice versa, and they have turned them down. So if that's any indication....
  8. Caca de Kick

Caca de Kick Sponsored by Jagermeister Supporting Member

Yeah I don't know why people call it a Sterling neck...it isn't a Sterling neck at all.
    neck shape different
    number of frets different, so length is different
    headstock size different
  9. StuartV

I think he was asking whether swapping one would fit, not whether EBMM would do him a trade-in.

Because it's the nut width of a Sterling, instead of a Stingray.
  10. StuartV

That sounds odd to me. Have you verified that your Sterling has the pickup height set to the factory spec?

I had a 2000 Stingray 5, which did not sound as full as a new Sterling 5 - and they should sound exactly the same. Once I realized that, I checked the spec and my SR5 pickup was way lower than the spec. I raised it up and, boom, it suddenly sounded huge.
  11. boristhespider9

boristhespider9

Yea, but that's only one component of a neck's specs. There are a lot of 1.5 necks out there that don't feel like a Sterling or, for that matter, a Jazz bass, neck.

But people oversimplify it and just say that it's a Stingray with a Sterling neck. Music Man doesn't really clarify that issue either and sites like Musicians Friend and Bass Central advertise it that way.