1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TalkBass iphone/android app is NOT WORKING currently. We're working on it. Tapatalk IS working, so if you need to use an app, use Tapatalk. Try using your browser though - TalkBass is now 100% responsive to your phone/tablet screen size ;)

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

Stingray staining, what is going on?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by sanchorb, Dec 28, 2013.

1. sanchorb

sanchorb

I was in the process of cleaning my 2009 Musicman Stingray,

[​IMG]

and when I removed the pickguard I saw this::eek:

[​IMG]

Why is that yellowish stain appearing on the finish? Is is some weird reaction from the back of the pickguard? Hadn´t removed it in a long time, so I was surprised to see this. Any comments will be well received. Cheers.:D
  2. LightForce104

LightForce104

I'm assuming that what was under your pickguard has stayed at the original color, while everything else has faded.
  3. JellinWellen

JellinWellen

I thought you didn't know that other pickup was there, lol.
  4. Webtroll

Webtroll Rolling for initiative Supporting Member

This would be my train of thought as well. That plus I'm hungry.
  5. sanchorb

sanchorb

The exterior color has always been the same, and has never changed. The finish under the pickguard is the one that has changed. I knew already there was a "ghost" pickup under the pickguard, and had even wanted to purchase another pickguard, save the original and carve this new one with a hole that suits the third pickup...
  6. mmbongo

mmbongo Supporting Member

They forgot to cut your pickguard out for your middle pickup!
  7. snyderz

snyderz Supporting Member

Beautiful bass, BTW.
  8. Dredmahawkus

Dredmahawkus Supporting Member

I'd get some compound or something and try to get it out then wax the area and see if it comes back....if the compound will take it out.
  9. sanchorb

sanchorb

Thank you, I have read that Ice Blue has been discontinued for a long time, and that stingrays with maple fingerboards and tortoise blue pickguards were not that common. So I am proud of having something rather unique...and great sounding too. Cheers mate!
  10. sanchorb

sanchorb

Thank you for the suggestion, but I would be scared as hell to apply something to that finish, lol...maybe it is some strange reaction to the back white pickguard, who knows? Maybe I´ll leave it like that, adds some "character", you know? Cheers!
  11. willbassyeah

willbassyeah

Wait why is there another pickup lol?
  12. sanchorb

sanchorb

This is a Stingray HS, and it is a "phantom" coil designed to cancel any humming noises that might be caused by the single coil. Not really sure, but it seems this PU is functional, but I have never made the experiment of raising it and see what happens...
  13. Dredmahawkus

Dredmahawkus Supporting Member

so what if the compound messes it up...its under the pickgaurd it cant get any worse!

It is a cool color! I hate blue and I like that!