1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TalkBass iphone/android app is NOT WORKING currently. We're working on it. Tapatalk IS working, so if you need to use an app, use Tapatalk. Try using your browser though - TalkBass is now 100% responsive to your phone/tablet screen size ;)

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

Sting's Early Tone with the Police

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by WALBASS4001, Jul 21, 2012.

1. WALBASS4001

WALBASS4001

I know Sting used a Jazz bass with a pick early on but I cant seem to figure out how he gets his tone on the early Police records. It seems to have a growly/clunky feel to it. Anyone have any better insight on how he got his tone?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dRxJmPiQMYg
  2. kfgranda

kfgranda

Funny, I actually heard some Police last night and I thought the same thing. I've actually gotten a "similar" tone boosting my mids all the way up, using a pick, and using the bridge pickup on an Ibanez.
  3. jmattbassplaya

jmattbassplaya

Sting actually used a Precision more often than a Jazz. He also dabbled with fretlesses quite a bit because he thought it made him look like a better player than he really was (his words, not mine).
  4. Rickenbassist

Rickenbassist

Disclosures:
    Thumb Thumper
    He played a stacked knob jazz bass. He also played a fretless P with a maple fretboard. Usually through his often broken Marshall amp. Eventually he switched to Ampeg. He was also known for doubling his basslines and sometimes used chorus and taurus pedals live.
  5. selowitch

selowitch Supporting Member

False modesty. He's too much of an arrogant jackass for that to be sincere. He's also plenty talented. Listen to Spirits in a Material World and tell me he's not an excellent bassist.
  6. WALBASS4001

WALBASS4001

I found another live video with him getting that sound. He's using a Jazz bass with a pick. I still cant get anywhere near that type of clunky tone with my jazz bass.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WEJH6clqfUI
  7. jmattbassplaya

jmattbassplaya

I have every song they've ever done on iTunes. Trust me, I know he's good ;) And yes, he did say it. I can't recall where or when, but he did say it in an interview once. It caught me by surprise, too.
  8. selowitch

I agree. I just think it was a clumsy attempt at modesty by an immodest man of considerable talent.
  9. Rickenbassist

Rickenbassist

Disclosures:
    Thumb Thumper
    He's actually genuinely modest. Watch the interviews on the Live in Rio DVD and you'll see for yourself . . . or you could hate. . . :scowl:

Anyway OP, Sting likes to play close to his bridge and his tone is mostly mid range. I would try using some eq and roll your lows back a little bit. His modern tone is only mildly darker and warmer due to using his thumb and the CSS pickup in the '57 P. I get a similar tone with my P by using the EQ and compressor on my head. Hope that helps.
  10. selowitch

Is it "hating" to recognize a guy's talent while recognizing that, like many successful musicians, there are certain shortcomings of character? Anyway, it's merely my impression. I don't know the man personally.
  11. Rickenbassist

Rickenbassist

Disclosures:
    Thumb Thumper
    Shortcomings? Have you ever read his memoir, or seen any interviews with him or any member of the Police or his current band where they speak about him?

Now I'm not bashing you or anything, I dont know you, but before you say stuff like "false modesty" or call the man a jack ass, perhaps you should have some understanding of the man first is all.
  12. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    clapclapclap!
  13. Vinnyboonbots

Vinnyboonbots

This has become so overdone, overused and oversaid.

It isn't "hate" if someone has a differing opinion and it isn't hate if someone's perspective about someone or something isn't all roses and sunshine. It's just a point of view.
  14. askrere

askrere

I'd say a memoir of a living person is the worst way to really get a great idea about a person, 99% are ghost written and just made to make some royalty checks.

Wait til he's dead or meet him to see what people really thought.
  15. onosson

onosson

Boy this thread fell apart quickly!

Anyways, I love Sting's bass playing. The Synchronicity tour was the first concert I ever saw at the age of 8, and The Police were the first band I "got into", even before I ever played bass myself. Definitely a big influence on me.
  16. thebbconspiracy

thebbconspiracy

I always heard he doubled his P or J bass with an upright on the early records.
  17. selowitch

Doubling with upright sounds like a nifty idea to me.
  18. Rickenbassist

Rickenbassist

Disclosures:
    Thumb Thumper
    There's actually a great live dvd from Synchronicity that comes with some great behind the scenes "making of" footage. It basically shows them making the album, and Sting does some cool upright jamming
  19. selowitch

I ought to rent that! Sounds great. Lest anyone think otherwise, I love Sting's playing and I think The Police are great, and that's all that really matters. Whether or not I think Sting is a nice guy is pretty much immaterial, and if I wrong about that, so be it.
  20. bottomend!

bottomend!

Favor the rear pickup, dig in HARD with the pick near the bridge, and add a little bit of right hand mute on the verse with open strings on the chorus. I guaranty if you do these things, you'll get very close to the sound he's getting!