Stock 16.5mm 4 string bridge. Can I find one?

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by xantometapon, Jan 3, 2014.

1. xantometapon

xantometapon

Hi everyone.

I recently bought a SX medium scale jazz bass that I like a lot.
    The "only" problem is that the G string is so close to the edge of the fingerboard that it slips out of the board often (if that makes any sense at all).

I can change or modify the nut with no problems, but I would also need to do something with the bridge.
    I would not mind installing a 16.5mm string spacing bridge if I could find one.

Does such a thing exists?

Thanks a million

2. JLS

JLS Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    I setup & repair guitars & basses
    Probably a neck alignment issue.

3. Roscoe East

Roscoe East

Kahler bass bridges allow for as little as 0.55" string spacing, which is less than 14mm ...but as JLS suggested, make sure it's not an alignment issue before springing for a new bridge.

4. xantometapon

xantometapon

I think the issue is that the neck is very narrow.
    The narrowest of all my basses, whichever the sale.

What if I install a 5 string bridge?
    The cheapest bridge with string spacing features is 75 euros and the bass itself is 140€.
    I know that the bridge is an important part of a bass but...

I would be happy for the moment if I can install a 30€ 5 string bridge and see what happens

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. Bobster

Bobster

Hi,

There are tighter 4-string bridges available. You will need to search in the descriptions at eBay.

Also, Sung-Il in Korea makes a lot of parts and I'm pretty sure they have a bridge (or two) that will work. Here's their website: http://www.sung-il.com/bbs/board.php?bo_table=b071_02

Best of luck,

Bob

7. RobbieK

RobbieK

why not get the neck realigned? It's actually a pretty simple job. I'm surprised how often they are out, even on expensive fenders. You can also move the bridge, but this will probably put the pickups out of alignment. If you move to a too narrow string spacing you may have problems getting the string outputs balanced across the pickups.