1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

stock custom shop 60's pick up in my new precision

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by Clouz, Jan 4, 2014.

1. Clouz

Clouz The Ayatollah of Jack and Cola

am i the only one who will never change this pick up? this thing sounds exactly like i want a P bass to sound. what are your thoughts? i play mostly early 70's rock and it is so sweet sounding. i have never owned a bass that was perfect sounding right out of the box till now. this bass will not be modified as long as i own it. maybe a new nut because of the way mine was cut and set up from the factory but that's about it.

2. Grissle

Grissle

Aren't the the '62 Originals? Great pickup. The CS '60's are the Jazz bass equivalent, which are sweet also. They just recently started putting these in these basses. One of their smarter decisions IMO. I have both in different basses and will never change them either!

3. aphexafx

aphexafx A mind is a terrible thing. Supporting Member

I totally LOVE the CS 60's in my P. I think they sound amazing all over the tone pot and they just stand right up even in busy mixes. I also think the bass is great; Fender did a good job on mine anyway. Well, except for the wiring, which I redid before I even took the plastic off. But I'm VERY happy with this P and the CS 60's are a big part of that.

I vote: WIN

4. petrus61

petrus61 Supporting Member

Can anyone tell me what these pickups read on a meter? There's definitely a different character to them than the 'Original 62' pickups. More punchy and rounder sounding as opposed to the hi-mid snarl of the 62's. I honestly was expecting the same 62's to be used when they announced the change and was pleasantly surprised. The 62 is a great pickup but the CS just seems a little more balanced.

I wound up putting the CS in my Classic 50's to edge out some of its naturally bright character and put a Lollar in my AmStd for a mellower tone, as I plan on using rounds exclusively on it. Nothing set in stone though, as I like the CS so much it may wind up back in.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. 9mmMike

9mmMike Would you happen to have a cookie for me? Supporting Member

I put a set of these in a P bass I was building while I had a set of 76 grey-bottom pups out for a rebuild. I never took them back out. They sound great.

7. elBandito

elBandito

Cs 60s for jazz are overwound compared to original 60s for jazz. Different sound. CS 60 sounds a little darker.

8. Clouz

i did some experimenting with pick up height adjustments and these pu's are very sensitive. too low on the treble side and the sound almost disappears. i raised it to spec 5/64 and then went down 1/64 at a time and noticed a big difference at 2/64. the bass side wasn't as sensitive so i set it to spec 7/64 and went all the way down in 1/64th adjustments and noticed no difference so brought it back up to spec and raised it the same way and noticed no difference other than the strings started to slap it so i left it at the spec setting. this bass came set up perfectly from the factory other than needing a slight neck adjustment which is normal. the nut adjustment was spot on other than a bit of a messy job and a slight nick from the file on the rosewood board right under the E string. very very happy with my 2013 MIA Precision.

[​IMG]

9. Clouz

my meter read 10.13 you're welcome sir.

10. petrus61

petrus61 Supporting Member

Very good. That puts them right in the ballpark of the "Original" which average 10.5-10.8 last I checked and would explain the smoother high end these seem to have. I actually like them better than the Original/62 set which is a damn fine pickup. Also pleased to see they retained the brass plate, whether it serves any real purpose or not.

I wonder if the bevel of the poles contributes to the tone in any significant way?

11. denton57

denton57 Supporting Member

Where can one find one of these pickups for sale?

12. PJRL

PJRL

Is Fender selling them, the CS 60's P bass pickups ?

13. Clouz

not that i could find. you'll have to find somebody who is replacing their pick ups. good luck with that dude. these pick ups are awesome.

14. Clouz

what was up with your wiring?

15. aphexafx

aphexafx A mind is a terrible thing. Supporting Member

I've seen them on ebay recently.

Well I was upgrading the bass anyway (black pg, dome knobs, Schaller locks, etc.), and I just think that the factory wiring on the standards is sub-par and so I rewired mine proper. Fender uses thin gauge vinyl coated wire that breaks off and their soldering is icky.

You can see if you want, pretty standard rewire: http://www.talkbass.com/forum/f38/upgrading-modern-p-bridge-ground-solutions-1041914/

Seriously LOVE these pickups and this bass. :bassist:

16. Clouz

nice job! when i saw the wiring on mine i thought the stock wiring was kind of chinsey also. i might have to do this some day.