1. Please note: We are performing several software upgrades tonight, Sept 29th. Please bear with us. You may notice some formatting issues and other bugs.

Stock ESP LTD pickups 18v mod possible?

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by terran236, Jan 7, 2013.

1. terran236

terran236

Hello nice to meet you all,

I'm a guitarist venturing into bass territory, I just bought my first bass after owning nothing but guitars(8 to be specific). It seems like fun.:hyper:

It's a 6 string bass. http://www.musiciansfriend.com/bass/esp-ltd-b-206sm-6-string-bass

Anyway!

I couldn't find any info on converting the stock pickups to 18 volt, thus why I'm wasting your precious forum space. :)

Is it possible to do so? Or do you need EMGs? I have read somewhere that stock pickups run at 18v could possibly be a better option than brand new after market pickups.

It hasn't even arrived yet but I like my tones to be crisp so im sure the stock pickups might be too muddy for the lowest B string.

P.S

I think dan briggs from btbam said in an interview hes still using the same bass he bought like 12 years ago. No mods until a repair man hooked em up with 18 volt mod.

So I assume it's possible i just had to ask those who know.

Thank you all for your time. :bassist:

2. JLS

JLS Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    I setup & repair guitars & basses
    Dunno 'bout the ESP pups, the EMGs in my Surveyor are running @ 18v.

3. wcriley

wcriley

Disclosures:
    Uncompensated endorsing user: fEARful
    The pickups in an LTD B206 are not active. They are an OEM version of EMG HZ pickups.

4. rtav

rtav Millionaire Stuntman, Half-Jackalope Supporting Member

I've got one of these and I'd be surprised if you need to make any changes to the sound - wait till you get it setup properly and I think you'll be really pleasantly surprised. :)

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. TigerInATrance

TigerInATrance

They're single coils, passive, and hooked up to an EMG style 3 band pre. While I was waiting for my EMGs to arrive I ran the pre at 18v and it did actually sound a good bit better. More clarity (headroom). I can't say how that stuff would hold up to long term 18v power, but I would think that the components would have shown problems fairly early if it wasn't going to work out. I had it wired up that way for 40ish playing hours and no ill effects (also no apparent battery drain.)

7. stepswork4me

stepswork4me

I've already done the research and yes it can be done very easily. No surgery necessary. You'll only need to connect an 18v battery harness to the existing harness in your bass. Even with the pups being passive the pre is active. Here is what you're looking for....
    [​IMG]

I just bought the stuff needed to make my own harness. There are simple diagrams to be had that'll show you how if you want to make your own. The wiring in the harness must be reversed, partly. Or you can also purchase the harness premade.

HOLD ON!!!! Mine has the EMG pups and pre. You need to find out if that pre can handle the 18v. Email ESP.

8. terran236

terran236

Thank you guys very much for the replies, I really appreciate it. I thought this thread had gone ignored since im a newbie here. Lol :) glad I came back to check. Better late than necro.:bassist: