1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

Stock jazz wiring

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by Rusty G String, Feb 16, 2014.

1. Rusty G String

Rusty G String

I opened up my Squier Standard to find it has 500k Alpha pots. This is good because I plan on putting humbucking pups in it. My question is, does this wiring look right? Does it matter where the cap is soldered? And is the plate grounding the pots together? Should I run a new ground from jack to pots? ImageUploadedByTalkBass1392575754.168676.jpg

2. line6man

line6man

It's fine.

Soldered ground wires are optional. They hold up better over time, as mechanical connections corrode, but are not necessary if the mechanical connections are continuous.

3. Rusty G String

Rusty G String

Thanks. That's kinda what I figured. I haven't had any problems with bad grounds. Until today. I switched my control plate on my MIM jazz and the jack was a little loose after putting it back together. I think I will add the extra ground wire on that one, as it is my main playing/gigging bass the Squier is just a backup.