1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

stock Strings on new Fender...

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by Smit_Dogg, Jan 9, 2014.

1. Smit_Dogg

Smit_Dogg

Hi,

I was wondering if anyone knows what stock string they put on the Limited Edition Jazz 66 Reissue 2013 MIJ? I snapped one up in October and was pleasantly surprised with the strings that were on it. Very bright, a sharp attack with plenty of lows too. It did say on a tag "Loaded with Fender Strings" but didnt specify the model/type/number.

Any Feedback would be appreciated....

2. Smit_Dogg

Smit_Dogg

a bit more info is; they don't have any ribbon on them at either end of the strings and all ball ends are a copper/gold colour...

3. mrb327

mrb327 Supporting Member

Fender 7250s. Big fan of these especially on a jazz

4. Smit_Dogg

Smit_Dogg

I had a strong suspicion it was them but wanted to be sure.. They're great!!!

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. petrus61

petrus61 Supporting Member

I've been wondering...why is it that some fenders seem to come with the colored ball ends and some don't? Of the last four Fenders I bought (after they started sourcing from D'Addario) the only one that came with colored ball ends on the strings was actually a Squier. An American Standard, two vintage reissues and a Classic 50's all had the non colored ball ends.

7. mrb327

mrb327 Supporting Member

Depends on year made I think. My 2011 and earlier Fenders have had gold, newer colored ends. On the Squiers Ive owned, all of them including the 2013 had gold. Old stock maybe?

Rumor also was Daddario is NOT making fender strings, but I think they are :smug:

8. Dredmahawkus

Dredmahawkus Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    I stuck a bass in my
    I just got a 2012 fender select jazz and it had 3 gold and the A string was red....has to be d'addario!
    I bought the 2013 select jazz last month and they were all gold ends.

9. Dredmahawkus

Dredmahawkus Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    I stuck a bass in my
    So I returned that select cuz it had issues and my new one had all gold ball ends! Kinda weird huh?
    I think the standards come with 8250 strings with the tapered E

10. petrus61

No tapered E on the one I just got last month. I think the tapered E went out the window with the switch to D'Addario or whoever makes them now.

11. lazarusdoom

lazarusdoom Supporting Member

my 2012 am dlx jazzv came with both tapered e and b strings with gold/copper ball ends. my new set of 8250's have the tapered e and b but multicolor balls :ninja:

12. The Nameless

The Nameless

I'm curious bout the strings, too. My 2010 American Deluxe Jazz came new with colored ball ends. Not D'addario ball ends, as I first thot. They're colored. But, the "Fender" strings colored ends are pastel shades, while D'addario ends are metallic colors. I use D'addario ProSteels regularly, an the Fender strings are not ProSteels. :) To add to the confusion, I just bout a bass with flats installed. I saw colored ends, assumed D'addario. But, the ad from where I purchased the bass listed it with Fender flats. I looked again... Colored ends? Yes... But Pastel. Not Metallic. If the Pastel colors are Fender, as evidence suggests? Is D'addario makin those strings? I have heard, an believe, yes. But, the Fender strings aren't rebranded Pro Steels. That I know. It doesn't matter tons. The pastel Fenders, round and flat, are great strings. I just wish I could find em regularly. Til then? I'll happily use the D'addario strings. :)

13. petrus61

I don't think they're just rebranded, as the Fender flats and Chromes are at least pretty different. The Chromes have more tack to them while the Fender are smooth to the touch. I also noticed the Fender flats seem to have a thinner core wire than Chromes. I couldn't find the thread, but I recall someone on TB tracing the manufacturing to the same New Jersey factory as D'Addario.

14. The Nameless

The Nameless

I didn't think the Fender strings a rebrand, either. But I didn't wanna leave the impression I thought they were. I get the impression readin these threads that some may feel they are. I do not. They may be related. Bein manufactured in same facility is a possibility. But the paint on ball ends is different. I have zero experience wit flats. So that bit of info is good to know. These felt great, great sound. Just not my sound. I really dug the Pastel rounds that came on my Jazz Deluxe. But I never bought a Fender set that had the colored ends. I've only seen em occasionally on stock basses. I don't buy Fenders on a regular basis. So maybe I just missed em. And I would buy the Pastel strings, if I knew what they were.