Stoked, my first bass!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by gsprice696, Feb 24, 2014.

1. gsprice696

gsprice696

Figured I'd share this all you guys. I just got my first bass in the mail today. It's a Sterling by Music Man SUB Ray4 in black. This thing is sweet but since I'm a noob I can't play her for crap yet but u hope to learn and catch on quick. I just pray I have the gift! I welcome any suggestions u guys have that might help me learning to play. Ok I've rambled enough, thanks for reading!
  2. Bisounourse

Bisounourse

Congrats.

Let the woodshedding begin; practice, practice, practice and more practice... (and the dull and daft excercises as well: apreggio's and scales, not only songs). :bassist:
  3. Freightshaker

Freightshaker

Congratulations. I will suggest having it professionally set up. You can learn to make adjustments as you find your style.
  4. pudgychef

pudgychef

Congrats on the new bass and the decision to start playing! Bass can be a wonderful lifetime endeavour

Best advice I can give is find a good teacher and take lessons - I didn't when I started and have regretted it ever since
  5. Register to disable this ad
  6. BigDaddyO

BigDaddyO Rockin' Ruben Supporting Member

First Rule of Playing Bass: Don't drop the instrument! Most important: Have lots of fun!
  7. Gorn Captain

Gorn Captain Supporting Member

Scott's Bass Lessons:
    http://www.youtube.com/channel/UCWTj3vCqkQIsrTGSm4kM34g
    He starts with the basics from how to strings your bass to more advanced stuff.

He's a great bass player and an excellent teacher. There's all kind of extras on his website worth looking at but his beginner videos are a great place to start.
  8. gsprice696

gsprice696

Oh believe me I know all to well I'm gonna have to crawl be fore I can walk much less run lol. Unlike some kids that think it might be easy I expect a challenge plus I'm 30 years old lol but thanks for the advice fellow bassist :)
  9. BassilPesto

BassilPesto Supporting Member

Now find a band! Or start one.
  10. gsprice696

gsprice696

Awesome man thanks!!
  11. gregmon79

gregmon79 Supporting Member

Media:
    Albums:
    THIS

Practice is the best way to get better at playing. A good teacher will come in handy as well. I learned on tab and while that probably isnt the best way to learn, it taught to be more familiar with my fretboard. Also, learn what fret it what, learn your fretboard and where all the notes on it are. That also helped me a great deal in the beginning. It helped big time when I started jamming with people. Congrats on your new bass and new chapter in your life!! Its a great one :) :bassist:
  12. pudgychef

pudgychef

big +1 !

one of the ways they can save money and make a bass that nice for the $$ is to skip the set-up in their CA facility (like the 'standard' SBMMs receive)

a good set-up will really make learning to play much easier
    (imho, ime, ymv) :bassist:
  13. gsprice696

gsprice696

A little background on my current situation. I'm currently stationed in South Korea so finding a teacher will be kinda difficult so I figured until I get back to the states I'll do the best I can learning on YouTube and I've also bought the game BandFuse for my xbox which unlike RockSmith which my son already has BandFuse teaches in tab format so I'm gonna give that a shot. Any thoughts? Also I know they have a music store here so I think in going to take my bass there and try to have it set up. Any idea as to what I need to be looking for in the set up or what to ask for?
  14. pudgychef

pudgychef

Where are you in South Korea? I know a few very good players who could hook you up with lessons in Seoul..

also a guy who could really get you started on the right path in Pusan
  15. GKon

GKon Supporting Member, Boom-Chicka-Boom Supporting Member

16. gsprice696

gsprice696

I'm actually in the Camp Humphreys/Osan area
  17. gsprice696

gsprice696

Thanks Gkon I'll check into those sites for sure
  18. mcblahflooper94

mcblahflooper94

My two cents: give yourself some time to mess around with your instrument. Maybe not a year, if you want to start gigging, but don't learn theory for awhile. Just have fun with it. Learn a BUNCH of songs that you like. Mess around, write things without knowing theory or anything (you'll be surprised how that same stuff is somewhat still relevant even when you get better) Then, later, learn all the theory, timing, etc. that goes with bass playing.

If you want to jump right in with all the theory and stuff, go ahead, but my advice would to give yourself time to just learn about it on your own. Mr. Wooten says to give it a year. While I don't know if you should wait a whole year before learning theory and proper "lessons", give it time. But, I suppose, you should learn note names at least. And, practice with a metronome. You don't want to be trapped not knowing how to keep time later. I was there, it was embarrassing.
    For six or so months:
    -have as much fun with it as you can
    -learn to stay on beat with a drummer
    -learn a lot of songs
    -learn note names (I know some who don't even know that)
    -Jam with a drummer, at some point
    Then,
    -learn all the modes in the "normal" series (phrygian, aeolian, ionian, etc.)
    -learn the melodic series (if you want extra brownie points, discover them yourself. I did)
    -understand how modes fit together
    -learn to read

of course, if you're a musician and you already can read, understand theory, keep time, etc., then you're probably going to pick up bass a lot quicker.
    Regardless, good luck!
  19. StuartV

StuartV Out of GAS!! Supporting Member

20. gregmon79

gregmon79 Supporting Member

Media:
    Albums:

IMO (in my opinion) that game will get you more familiar with the neck. Go for it! If you can't find a teacher that game will help you get a feel for the neck. It's no substitute for a good teacher, but it's a decent start.
  21. ac11367

ac11367 Supporting Member

Congrats!

Keep in mind that (presuming that you're a righty) while your left hand determines which notes are being played, your right hand determines how interesting the notes can sound.