Stoked - Warwick Streamer Standard German 2000 - Question?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by CoffeeLove, Jan 3, 2014.

1. CoffeeLove

CoffeeLove

Glad to officially be in the Warwick family with my 2000 Streamer made in Germany. Yes, I know it is not the current German made top dollar streamer, and yes it has the one piece bridge, and yes it has all passive hardware but it is all good to me. This sucker growls like other higher end 4, 5, and 6 string Warwicks I have played and it was very inexpensive.

Two Questions:

1) Could anyone take a look at the pics and confirm the woods used on body, neck, and fret board? I believe carolena, wenge, and wenge but not sure.

2) Since I got the bass super cheap, might consider a preamp install at some point since the treble/bass adjustment does very little with current electronics (no preamp). Any ok/decent preamps out there that do not cost $175 like the Nord's, Aguilar's, etc? Looking for 2 band with simple volume, blend, and tone adjustment (do not like two volume knobs).

***OK, got to say that I absolutely love the neck on this Warwick. It came perfectly set up, has "0" buzz while playing anywhere on the neck, very low action, the frets/board have no noticeable wear, and not a scratch on the neck anywhere (just killer).

***One more thing, I thought my Stingray SR4 had growl but nothing compared to the Warwick. The stingray has more of a "sizzle" compared to the warwick. The Stingray may be better suited for slap and other styles, but whatever, I am in love.

Any thoughts on the preamp would be great

Thanks

Attached Files:

2. CoffeeLove

CoffeeLove

More Pics

Attached Files:

3. CoffeeLove

CoffeeLove

And More Pics

Attached Files:

4. MDBass

MDBass Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist: Spector-Dingwall-Aguilar-DR-Tech 21-Darkglass
    A few quick things...

1. Your bass is currently setup either Volume/Blend/Tone or Volume/Volume/Tone, you don't have either a bass or a treble control; the EQ controls are part of a preamp, and all passive basses will only have tone controls, in some cases (with four knobs) one for each pickup, but in your case there is only a single tone control.

2. The volume and blend controls have nothing to do with the preamp itself, and the preamps controls only effect the EQ (bass, mids, treble); the volume and/or blend pots are entirely independent of the preamp module, meaning you can choose ANY preamp and still have either a vol/vol or vol/blend setup, even adding push/pull pots if you'd like for advanced functions like active/passive and series/parallel switching.

3. Since you only have three pot spaces available and need two of them for your volume and blend knobs, you'll need a 2-band preamp with a concentric (stacked) bass and treble pot; I'd recommend checking the classifieds here for a used one, you should be able to find an Aguilar OBP-1 or OBP-2 or something of similar quality for less than $100.

Congrats on your new bass, and happy hunting! :bassist:

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. mikezimmerman

mikezimmerman

Looks like the neck is ovankol with a wenge fretboard. I don't really know what carolena looks like, but I seem to recall that being the standard body wood on these older Streamer Standards...

7. Z-Bass

Z-Bass

^This. There are so many to choose from but you should be able to find something used. I have an Aguilar pre in my Warwick and love it. Also, have had a good experience with Seymour Duncan pre-amp; I used a 3-band in an old bass I used to have. They should have a relatively inexpensive 2 band available.

Regarding the woods, your correct about the carolena body and wenge fingerboard. The neck looks to be ovankol.

Nice bass BTW! I remember playing one once at a store, had a nice neck, relatively light in weight. I remember those pickups being low in output but warm in tone. Adding a pre-amp would be a nice addition.

8. Joe Nerve

Joe Nerve Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing artist: Musicman basses, Hipshot products
    Funny, I don't remember ovankle OR wenge necks on those basses back then. I thought it was all wenge from the pix, but I think the other guys might be right. Fingerboard I'd say for sure though was wenge. A closer shot of the back of the neck might be helpful.

Congrats. Sounds like a real score.

9. Mudcat35

Mudcat35

Go to www.warwick.de and click on the Warwick section. Then click on support, and once you're there look at the bottom of the page and find "serial numbers". Click that and it will take you to a page where you can enter your serial number and you'll be provided all sorts of detail about your bass.

Nice find, by the way!

10. CoffeeLove

CoffeeLove

Thanks MDBass on the circuitry layout, and I meant to say "tone" not treble. It is currently volume/volume/tone but would like to have volume/blend/tone (treble/bass stack for tone). I know the output is quite low and would like to kick it up a notch while getting some tone flexibility. I will look for a used pre here on TB (nothing on eBay right now).

Mudcat and JoeNerve. Additional pics of neck provided. The Warwick site could not locate my model # but I did find the bass through a search of their site. A wiring schematic came up but no additional info about the bass.

Any thoughts with provided pics?

Thanks

Attached Files:

11. Mr.Typhus

Mr.Typhus

I can confirm that it's
    -Carolena body
    -Ovangol neck
    -Wenge fingerboard
    -VOL VOL TONE pots

I had excact the same model many years ago! :) Great bass for the money! I would suggest putting on Aguilar 2-band EQ as a stack-pot configuration. Vol-Blend-bass+treble (stacked) would be ver versatile :)

And enjoy your new bass! :bassist:

12. CoffeeLove

CoffeeLove

You guys rock!

Thanks Mr. Typhus for the suggestion and I would like to have that preamp. Was hoping to find a less expensive solution. I will look for a used one on TB.

13. mmbongo

mmbongo Chicken Pot Pie. My three favorite things!! Supporting Member

I may be wrong, but...

seems like I remember 'Carolena' being a fancy word for 'pine'...cheap, and grown in the Carolinas...Carolina, Carolena..see what they did there?

14. Mr.Typhus

Mr.Typhus

True! I remember searching for the info on net. I found it's called "southern yellow pine".. correct me if im wrong but this picture looks alot like it :)

http://s7d4.scene7.com/is/image/LumberLiquidators/syp6_sw?$650x650$

15. CoffeeLove

CoffeeLove

Could be, not sure. OK with me either way since it sounds/looks great. Now, hopefully I will find a good preamp.