1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

Stolen Head not sure what to get now

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by Eraserhead0508, Feb 24, 2014.

1. Eraserhead0508

Eraserhead0508

I had an Ampeg B2R 350 Watt bass amp head and unfortunately got stolen recently. However the timing may have been ok because I have needed a new one.

The thing is, I have no clue where to begin looking for a new head. I have no specific things I am looking for I just want a replacement head. I guess if anything I would want a more raw sound and if possible a Fuzz/Dist switch (wouldn't be used too often but if it is available id like it. But with that said, if I can get some help for guidance in a direction of what to look for that would help. Brands I do not have any particular in mind so I am open for anything. As for my budget I am looking for something no more than $300. so maybe 200-300
    Sorry I could not give more info on what I want because I don't even know myself.

Any help would be appreciated.

EDIT: Just to add, I will be using this head for shows and such

2. Cirk

Cirk

Where are you located? What cab(s) are you using? The TB classifieds are a good place to start looking.

As for the stolen head, are there any identifiable markings? Any idea who?

3. Eraserhead0508

Eraserhead0508

4. Dan55

Dan55 Supporting Member

In that price range I'd probably pick up a used Ampeg PF-500 or Hartke LH500. If you're buying new, I'd pick up an Ampeg PF350.

Dan

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. A-Step-Towards

A-Step-Towards

I have gotten 2 GK800rbs for under $300

7. orangejulius3

orangejulius3

New
    GK MB200

Used
    Plenty to choose from in the classifieds of TB.
    I personally would go for a GK MB500.

8. Mystic Michael

Mystic Michael Hip No Ties

What kind of help is it that you want? If you don't even know the characteristics of the amp in question, then how will you be able to realize when you've identified the right choice? Or even a good choice? :eyebrow:

MM

9. MrBKerth

MrBKerth Bass Player with Big Local Supporting Member

Personally id look into the old 80's peavey heads. Cheap, built real tough, not likely to be eye catching to a thief, and I've gotten some very distorted tones out of them.

10. Eraserhead0508

Eraserhead0508

Thanks for the suggestions, I think I will try and keep it Ampeg.