Stolen Lakland 55-94 Deluxe SF Bay Area

Discussion in 'Lost & Stolen Gear' started by Murphbass, Sep 3, 2013.

1. Murphbass

Murphbass

I had a Lakland 55-94 Deluxe with quilt top (amber) with bird's-eye maple fingerboard stolen while loading gear into my house Sat. August 24th A.M. (Berkeley).

Serial number is #5898. Was in a red Lakland bag. Bass has a bent 'G' tuner and is missing a knob for the volume control. There is some wear on the back.

Berkeley, CA police report #13-49997

Thanks!
  2. Murphbass

Murphbass

3. Murphbass

Murphbass

4. Murphbass

Murphbass

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. funkytoe

funkytoe Supporting Member

7. aguacateojos

aguacateojos Supporting Member

PMing with info
  8. aguacateojos

9. Tunaman

Tunaman Supporting Member

Damn I hope he gets it... you should call the cops if Murphbass hasn't responded yet
  10. aguacateojos

Haven't heard from him, not sure what to do... this guy has called / emailed a few times now.
  11. NG51

NG51 Supporting Member

I just messaged the guitar player in his band, who is a friend. He let Murph know, and told me Murph was contacting his case officer. Keeping fingers crossed.. ain't TB great?
  12. MarTONEbass

MarTONEbass Supporting Member

That's fantastic. I sent him an email, but glad to know he was contacted directly.
  13. RadioRob

RadioRob Supporting Member

Media:
    How was it stolen? So other TBr's can learn from it.
  14. Murphbass

Murphbass

So, my Lakland was returned yesterday. It's a long story, and maybe I'll write it down in a bit, but (2) of my co-workers set up a meet in downtown Berkeley. They took the bass, saying it was stolen, citing a police case #, serial number, etc. The guys selling it pleaded innocence (I've had this a year (not!) - I don't think that's right - is this a shake down?) and backtracked. They got a photo of the car and license plate and have a good, solid description of the guys. It feels great to have the bass back, and I'm grateful that so many people took notice and took an interest in getting it back.

I'm pretty conscious of my gear and it's security, but we all get lax at times (particularly at the end of a long gig at 2:30am). I was loading my gear into my house with a friend. There must have been a short window when neither of us were outside watching the car. Hopefully lesson learned!

Another lesson is not to let your insurance lapse! I have used https://www.musicproinsurance.com/ for a few years, and they've always been great to work with.

I know that a lot of stolen instrument stories don't turn out well; I had low expectations. Stealing from a musician is particularly troubling. Hopefully the legal system can prevent these guys from pulling something like this off again.

Thanks!
  15. funkytoe

funkytoe Supporting Member

Great end to the story. Thanks Murph. Glad you got your bass back.
  16. kulit17

kulit17 Wal Collector #35 Supporting Member

Awesome ending!!!Glad it made its way home. Hope the crooks gets what they deserve!!
  17. Turock

Turock Supporting Member

That's great, man. I've had three basses stolen from me (a pre-CBS Precision, a 1975 Rickenbacker, a 1983 Precision). Never saw mine again.
    Great news, I hope that SOB pays dearly.
  18. mikecd1

mikecd1 Supporting Member

So happy to hear some good news today!!! Congrats Murph and hope you get a lot more great music out of that bass! I think your story opened a lot of eyes and you are lucky to have such a great crew at work behind you too.