1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

Stolen Mohan Veena in Chicago area:

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by DogBone, Feb 22, 2014.

1. DogBone

DogBone

[EDIT: Instrument has been recovered!]

Passing this along for a friend of a friend:

"Beloved friends, with a heavy heart I want to tell you all
    that this morning at Chicago Ohara airport, while I was on
    my way to retrieving my luggage, someone stole
    my beloved Mohan Veena (pictured to the left of me).
    Security cameras showed a man pick it up and walk out.
    I've had that Veena more than 20years. There's hardly been a day that I haven't played it. I feel as though I've lost a good friend. I need everyone's help to find it. If you know someone in Chicago, tell them about it. Maybe it will surface on Craigs list or E-bay. Maybe in a music store or Pawn shop. There's no missing it. The Veena is in a Black Fibreglass Case with lots of stickers. And the Veena has 20 Strings, 2 layers of strings running parallel. It has tuning heads right down the neck. No other instrument looks like this. I'm grateful for any help. thanks Harry"

[​IMG]

https://www.facebook.com/HarryManx/...37914.197734763665016/475521795886310/?type=1

2. Pilgrim

Pilgrim Supporting Member

I'll reveal my ignorance...and hopefully it will benefit others and assist the process. Is this a banjo, solid body or hollow body instrument? I assume it's pictured, but I don't know which instrument it is. Never heard the name before.

3. HeavyRockBasser

HeavyRockBasser

4. ShoeManiac

ShoeManiac Supporting Member

I would have to think with this happening in Chicago that there are strong odds this instrument could wind up at Chicago Music Exchange. It seems too exotic for any run of the mill pawn shop to take in. And no doubt the guys at CME are tapped in and know about this particular instrument having been stolen, considering how much this post has made it around social media.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. DogBone

DogBone

Thanks for links to the pics, I'll post the one with Mr. Manx and the actual instrument for clarification:

[​IMG]

It is indeed a very distinctive instrument and I hope it is recovered.

7. fraublugher

fraublugher

Don't forget to post this in the stolen gear forum .

8. DogBone

DogBone

Good news!

"Beloved friends, My Veena Has Been Found! On Monday the 24th, the man who stole
    my Mohan Veena at Chicago O’Hara Airport was caught while trying to steal more luggage. He eventually gave up the location of the instrument and it was recovered.
    The police now have it in their possession. I plan to return to Chicago next Tuesday to pick it up.
    There’s no way for me to express the gratitude I have to everyone for helping out, but I would like
    to say that the generous outpouring of support has uplifted my spirits and renewed my faith in the
    kindness of strangers. love to all, in gratitude.
    Harry Manx"

9. JennySuzuki

JennySuzuki

10. Shedua511

Shedua511

Disclosures:
    Agent for Scandinavian countries: Stick Enterprises Inc.
    Great news! Thieves of musical instruments deserve a special place in hell (devil toddlers learning to play violin? Or accordion?).

11. Pentatonic

Pentatonic Gold Supporting Member