1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

Stoner/Doom Bassist Thread Pt. 47: Cooking with 300W Tube Amp GAS

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by dunwichamps, Feb 13, 2013.

1. dunwichamps

dunwichamps

Disclosures:
    Owner: Dunwich Amps
  2. DethByDoom

DethByDoom

3. dozicusmaximus

dozicusmaximus Supporting Member

One of Zappa's best solos

4. Lazarus.Bird

Lazarus.Bird Mr. Personality

I'm sure at some point I'll buy an SG bass. The body shape is just too damn cool. No short scale shenanigans for me though.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. DethByDoom

DethByDoom

Do it.

I see epiphones eb3s come up on Craigslist all the time. They're all full scale. Gibson and epiphone long scale basses have pretty slim necks, though...

7. Lowest End

Lowest End

I really liked it when I tried it out a couple of weeks ago. And then I tried the EQD delay and... well that one is way better.

8. Toastfuzz

Toastfuzz

You should post that to my FB wall so I can watch it after work.... going crazy here without a smartphone gah

9. Squanch72

Squanch72 Supporting Member

My Gibsons Victories were a design built to compete with Fenders, and they are tone monsters, but I am Jonesin for that Gibson Bass Tone like the Thunderbirds, Les Pauls, so those Thunderbird style Waterstones look interesting. I also like some Italia and Dipinto guitars. I have noticed that Waterstone seems to slap some of their slow sellers, prototypes, etc on ebay occassionally for great prices too.

10. CL400Peavey

CL400Peavey Supporting Member

+1

I cant do short scale either. My guitarist has a vintage fender ss bass that he raves about. Sounds like garbage to me, and is WAY to small for my hand.

11. Lazarus.Bird

At 6'5 me playing a short scale would just be ridiculous haha.

12. CL400Peavey

heck I'm a 5'10" stocky Pole. Put that bass on me and it looks equally ridiculous.

13. DethByDoom

DethByDoom

My understanding was always that ebo (one pup) basses were short scale and the sg/eb3 basses were all long scale. Also that tbirds were all long scale except "studio" models. All this was the same between Gibson and Epiphone. I may be wrong.

The new Epiphone stuff is worth looking at. It pretty darn close to Gibson. To me its just difference in finish and electronics. And if you're planing on changing electronics and customizing...

14. beebassdude

beebassdude Supporting Member

EB3L or 4L are the way to go. i think there are two on guitar centers vintage section right now for under 1k.

15. mc_muench

mc_muench

I used to play a Mustang RI in my indie pop band, looked ridiculous, sounded awesome. A thumpier P. Recently played another one, way too small now, definitely not used to SS anymore

I can/should post some songs from that band.

16. DethByDoom

DethByDoom

A short scale bass would match our combos better. And be less overall weight.

17. CL400Peavey

Hmm... you are right. Short scale basses and small practice combo's for everyone!

18. Lazarus.Bird

19. mbelue

mbelue

Short scale is the only reason I sold my Longhorn.
    I always felt like the little bass made me look bigger. At least that is what she said.

20. Squanch72

Squanch72 Supporting Member

I wish that Epiphone Allen Woody Bass was full scale or even a 32inch scale. Love the pickup placement, wish more basses were like that, like have a Pbass sweet spot with a Mudbucker too. Actually even better would be three bucks, bridge, sweet spot, then mudbucker.

21. beebassdude

beebassdude Supporting Member