1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TalkBass iphone/android app is NOT WORKING currently. We're working on it. Tapatalk IS working, so if you need to use an app, use Tapatalk. Try using your browser though - TalkBass is now 100% responsive to your phone/tablet screen size ;)

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

Stoner/doom/mastodon

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by Ephriamiv, Dec 14, 2013.

1. Ephriamiv

Ephriamiv

Hey guys I'm currently in a band playing hardcore and we have doom and stoner elements. Sleep.. Mastodon...Conan...and slayer.
    Basically our influences.

I'm having trouble with my bass tone though, I'm running a 50s style fender. Mexican p bass into a Black Russian big muff into a boss GE-7 then into an ampeg ba 115. This is my temp setup ATM. I need help with a head! Also I have another rig witch is a vintage pa head into 2 memphis sound lab 2x15s with the muff it sounds amazing. But the muff and the ampeg is way to fizzy. I'm thinking of maybe the deluxe bass big muff, swollen pickle and a Mooer fog bass fuzz..

Or should I just get an a/b switch and run both and blend??? Any head suggestions are appreciated
  2. Ephriamiv

Ephriamiv

I've found a sunn concert lead so far.
  3. Ephriamiv

Ephriamiv

I've also looked at a lab series l2. And a Kustom 111b 30
  4. Mr. Foxen

Mr. Foxen

Disclosures:
    Amp tinkerer at Ampstack
    Is there a tweeter in the Ampeg that makes the muff sound bad?

Muffs are kind of bad for being in a band as they have a mid scoop.
  5. someparts

someparts Supporting Member

I'd run a blender. Never had much luck running EQ after the muff.

A single 15 combo is not going to sound like a pair of 2x15 cabs no matter what you do.
  6. Figjam

Figjam Supporting Member

More speaker surface area. I run a 2x15 and sometimes an 8x10 with it as well. I use a Peavey Mark IV with a Tech 21 VT bass pedal, and sometimes a Fulltone OCD. I dont use fuzz at the moment, just dirt.
  7. bassboysam

bassboysam Supporting Member

Fizzy tone typically means too much treble. Try cutting some of the high end. As far as fuzz pedals go the stoner/doom favs are the Grey Stache, Bluebeard and Tall Font Russian. But there are many many more.

There is a whole series of threads devoted to stoner/doom over here http://www.talkbass.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1034380

Lots of good advice you just need to post there since most of us don't venture out of there too much.
  8. vigor&kandor

vigor&kandor

I play sludge/stoner/doom right now and I feel your pain. Finding the right fuzz has been a struggle. I could never get a muff that has the tone I want. I mean I love my super collider but it is just missing something. Here are my opinions.

Rat-it is a favorite of mine and always on standby.

Boss Hm-2 - amazing crunchy fuzz and it has a Bass knob. The highs and mids are the same control so it takes a little playing to get a good sound.

Heavy Electronics Grind Fuzz- this is my current fuzz. Sounds pretty sick. Not suggested if you are not into the blown out sound. Not super focused.
  9. chillerthanmost

chillerthanmost

Stack an OD with your muff. I usually stack a SS/BS Mini or Rat Tail with either a Bluebeard or a Pharaoh. Solid.
  10. Ephriamiv

Ephriamiv

The pharaoh is good for bass eh? I wouldn't think so..
  11. Sartori

Sartori

Muffs can sound good, but they are a bit mid scooped. There's a bypass mod that can be done on them, I hear, to take the tone circuit out of line.

Myself, the vast majority time, I'm not getting any overdrive or fuzz from a pedal; it's all coming from the head, which is a Mesa D-180.

There are a lot of good pedals though, that will let you be heard better in the mix than a basic muff.