Stop me if you've heard this... Band names

Discussion in 'Band Management [BG]' started by EspressoNBass, Feb 6, 2014.

1. EspressoNBass

EspressoNBass

Country Bands help me out here... Which is best to sell your band.. As a "the jon doe band" or under a 'band name"

A little background on the issue. I was asked about a year ago by a singer we'll call "jon doe". Jon put the band together, guitar Drums me on bass... Billed it as "the jon doe band" lineup changes... New members. Now, new guitarist (who has been backdoor talking to the new drummer so that he too is convinced) want to change it and "name the band." The way I view my relationship and role is that I was hired to play bass for "jon doe" but the Guitarist drummer think it's a 25% per person interest and they have a stake in this. Although we all agreed that "the jon doe band" is a "band name" they feel put off by that and think there should be some corny name.. Thoughts?

2. kenneffdupriest

kenneffdupriest Supporting Member

the trend right now is john doe but i don't follow trends, i set them

3. lowfreq33

lowfreq33

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist: Genz Benz Amplification
    Leave it alone. You've already been playing under that name, and you're right, it's not a band, you're the singer's backing band.

4. mellowinman

mellowinman Guaranteed to break the Ice at Naughty Parties Supporting Member

Media:
    Albums:
    Frankly, I think "The John Doe Band" is a little too generic.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. kikstand454

kikstand454 Supporting Member

Even if you're all permanent members who contribute equally to the song writing..... if you have promoted and built the name of Jon done up..... then deleting him from your name is counter productive. I. E. '"dave Mathews band"

A solution may be had adding an ampersand and being " Jon doe & the somebodies" . I. E. " bruce Springsteen and the E street band".

7. EspressoNBass

EspressoNBass

Kikstand454 i tried that.. Ie bruce springsteen... No one fell for it!

8. Dogghouse

Dogghouse

Disclosures:
    Bass Guy @ Seymour Duncan
    Our country band uses an acronym (SP?) > CRV. We can change what it means based on the gig and personnel.
    Carmen and the Renegade Vigilantes
    Carmen and the Reneck Vaginas
    California Redemption Values....

9. Gaolee

Gaolee The Fat Violin Supporting Member

John Doe and the Generics has a catchy ring to it. Maybe John Doe and the Bar Codes. You will have to convince your singer that his name really IS John Doe to make this work, though.

10. wemmick

wemmick Supporting Member

There was a band in my high school that changed the second half of its name for each gig. It was always "Christopher Robin and the ...."

The best one (and the only one I remember 25 years later) was "Christopher Robin and the Non-dairy Creamers"

11. john m

john m Supporting Member

And the guy's name is John Doe, or something plain sounding---- he should get a stage name like:

Bucky, Slim, or Floyd (but not Pink)

12. Kragnorak

Kragnorak

My favorite band name that I saw in the Aquarian/East Coast Rocker once was "Barney Rubble and the C*** Stubble" :D

13. hrodbert696

hrodbert696 Supporting Member

What's not clear from the OP is whether Jon Doe's name carries any weight with audiences, booking agents or venues in your market. If it does, then you should ABSOLUTELY be the Jon Doe band because he's what people want to hire, and hear. If he's just some hobbyist off the street who happens to be the guy who got you guys together, then you can feel free to come up with a name.

14. JohnMCA72

JohnMCA72

^^^ Over time, any name can build value. Renaming a band usually means starting over at square 1, as far as any public or venue recognition is concerned. If the band has been gigging steadily for about a year under a name, you may want to consider whether or not it's worth just writing off that value.

15. AaronVonRock

AaronVonRock

The John Doe Experience

16. Stevorebob

Stevorebob Well... I Am Here, Aren't I? Supporting Member

My experience: If you have an name, no natter how ill-fitting, keep it. Re-branding rarely works. Just my opinion; YMMV.

17. Nephilymbass

Nephilymbass Supporting Member

from my experience if you've already been playing shows and building a fan base changing the band name makes you have to just about completely start over.

In my long lasting band we all split everything equally and everyone stays happy. In our band I do the bulk of the writing, I write all the bass parts and the majority of the guitar parts. but I cant play drums and I can't sing. My guitarists and drummer have to spend a lot more money on gas to play as they live farther away, and my singer does most of the booking and networking. When your in a situation like mine and don't want to pay a certain member as much it hurts the band. If it was me getting less I'd be discouraged to write music, if my guitarist or drummer were paid less they'd be discouraged to drive over an hour to practice, if it was my singer he'd be discouraged to spend as much time talking to club owners and other bands to book shows. I find the solution to avoid drama and problems is to just pay everyone the same. If we want to make more money we get more merch, play more shows, and promote better. All of which are beneficial.

18. ChrisB2

ChrisB2 Bass... in your fass Supporting Member

Not enough info.

Does John own the band? Did he hire all of you? Is he the bandleader or are you a democracy? Are you paid a flat rate by John or do you split income equally? Do you HAVE income? Originals or covers? Draw/no draw? How established are you? Are the guitarist and drummer ass-hoes? Do you like the band/music/gigs/pay? How often do you play out? Do you EVER play out? What's your mother's maiden name? Name of first pet? Elementary school? Social security number? Bank account with routing? All passwords please....

Then I can help. :D

19. Depth_Charge

Depth_Charge

John Doe & the tapping toe tags.

20. Humbled

Humbled Supporting Member

Not Country enough. How about John Doe and the Good Ol' Toe Tags...

21. ChrisB2

ChrisB2 Bass... in your fass Supporting Member

John Doe and the Toe Tag Hoes