1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TB Android app is working, you may need to uninstall/reinstall. The iPhone app is still pending approval by Apple. If you haven't yet, try using your mobile browser - TalkBass is responsive to any screen size.

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

Storing/cleaning strings in denatured alcohol

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by scatbass, Jan 18, 2013.

1. scatbass

scatbass

In short - I change my strings often, preferably every 2-3 weeks (hey, I like that sound). I typically keep one set of strings stored soaking in denatured alcohol while the other set is on the bass...and then I rotate them out every few weeks as needed. The storage container is a long PVC pipe I put together for this purpose.

My question/issue is this: I used to play stainless steel (La'bella) for many many years and this was never a problem. I recently switched to Circle K Nicklewound and have noticed that the strings develop some rust spots when I take them out of the tube. Usually the spots are around the ball at the end, but sometimes I'll find spots along the surface. What gives? Is there something about the composition of nickle that causes this? This is the stuff I'm using:

http://www.homedepot.com/catalog/productImages/300/49/4908fdb0-1811-4765-b1bf-1321b429503e_300.jpg
  2. knuckle_head

knuckle_head

Disclosures:
    Owner; Knuckle Guitar Works & Circle K Strings
    The outer wrap is a nickel plated straight steel on my hybrids, not plated stainless. I suspect most plated strings will behave similarly.
  3. scatbass

scatbass

Hmmm...wonder if there would be a better solvent? Acetone perhaps?
  4. knuckle_head

knuckle_head

Disclosures:
    Owner; Knuckle Guitar Works & Circle K Strings
    Acetone will eat the tubing you're using - it'd work if you got aluminum tubes and soldered the caps. Denatured is about as good as you can ask as it has zero water content. A guess, but I bet acetone would yield a similar result.

What causes the rust is that even on brand new strings there is a slight coating of oil from the manufacturing process that gets washed away with the alcohol. The rust is unsightly but you can still play them - you reintroduce oils as you play them again. You could run the strings through your fingers once the alcohol has completely evaporated to wipe away surface rust.

I guess it all depends on how rusty they become.
  5. scatbass

scatbass

Good to know, thanks for the info!
  6. FunkMetalBass

FunkMetalBass

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist: J.C. Basses
    Interesting. I've been cleaning my CK's for ages (sorry, Skip. I promise I'll order a few more sets soon) and I've yet to experience this. Then again, I'm in Arizona and our average relative humidity is about half that of most other southern states.
  7. Toptube

Toptube

don't leave them in the Alcohol for so long.
  8. mrbell321

mrbell321

Actually, denatured alcohol, being primarily ethanol is pretty rare to get 0 water. Usually, it's around 4%, but varies by brand.

Also, being ethanol, it tends to absorb water pretty readily from the air and anything damp it touches, so if you're reusing the alcohol, it's probably more water content than was in there originally.

But I am somewhat doubtful it's the dissolved water in the alcohol causing the issue.

I know you want to get rid of the contaminating oils, but this is also getting rid of any protective oxygen barrier, so of course there will be rust spots. Even if the windings are stainless or still well nickle plated, if the core is steel, it could and would seep through.

I'd advise cleaning the strings by wiping them down and then just keeping them as dry as you can. Maybe a desiccant in the tube? Or, if the tube is sturdy and airtight, maybe hook up a vacuum pump? Or fill it w/ nitrogen? You'll have to decide if any of that is worth it.