Straight jack -vs Strat jack

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by MarkoYYZ, Dec 19, 2013.

1. MarkoYYZ

MarkoYYZ Supporting Member

So I'm curious about people's preferences on something...

A large number of basses have a direct input jack where the cable enters the front body at a 90 degree angle. Others use either Strat type jack, an angled body entry, or a side-body entry.

I have basses of all 3 types and find the P-bass jack the weakest link. I mean, that piece of plastic has broken on how many people? Anyways, if you are willing to take 20 seconds and indulge me, I'm curious about other player's opinions on the various types...

Question 1): For those who have a P, a J, Stingray or other "direct front" type bass, do you use a 90 degree connector on your instrument cable, or a regular cable?

Question 2): Do you care one way or the other, or do you kind of wish your direct-jack bass could have an better way to plug in the instrument cable?

Question 3): For those who have a side or angled input jack - was this something that appealed to you about you bass, or just happened to be the way it came?

Question 4): If you were building your perfect bass, which way would you go with the input jack? Front, angled or side?
  2. WoodyG3

WoodyG3 Supporting Member

I always use a 90 degree jack, no matter where the input is. It keeps the cord and jack out of the way better. I prefer side jack, but top is fine. Angled start type jacks look like a pain to me, but I don't think I have ever had a bass with that style jack.
  3. awilkie84

awilkie84

They're few & far between, but I love them. I'm going to be adding one to my P-bass when I finish modding it this year.
  4. bassgod0dmw

bassgod0dmw Supporting Member

I'm confused about what you say about P basses and a piece of plastic. I own 4 Fender P's and a few other P style basses and not a single one on them has anything plastic near the jack area except for the pickguard. In fact, none of my basses do.

Question 1): 90 degree connector always
    Question 2): I don't really care.
    Question 3): Just happened to be the way it came
    Question 4): Front or side. Which would depend on exactly what I was building. I do not particularly like angled jacks unless it's on a Strat, and even then using my standard right angle cable doesn't work out all that well.
  5. Register to disable this ad
  6. MarkoYYZ

The Strat jack just looks very badly placed most of the time. I wanted feedback on whether the angled entry was enough of a benefit to deal with the appearance. I'm doing a Fenderbird build and was weighing the Strat jack vs side entry, but I won't be leaving it the way it was on the Epi Tbird.

I'm also thinking of modding my P-bass to be side entry and setting the electronics up differently to utilize the 3rd hole.
  7. wideload

wideload

My bass has a side jack, and I use a 90 degree connector at that end. However, the 90 tends to spin more and loosen the jack over time more than a straight plug did. Just have to decide which is more important to me, I guess...
  8. mongo2

mongo2

All my instrument cables have a right angle plug.
  9. P Town

P Town Guest

MY Fender Am Dlx P, and J have a metal output jack on the bottom edge of the body, and I use an instrument cable with a 90 degree plug on them, and it works perfect. My Gibson SG guitar has an output jack in the front surface of the wood body, and I use the same instrument cable there. On my Strat, I flip the instrument cable end for end, so the straight plug goes to the guitar, and the 90 degree end goes to the amp. Works perfect. The instrument cable that came with the Fender Am Dlx basses is straight on both ends, and I don't use them for anything.
  10. Bassics101

Bassics101

Not sure I understand all the questions either, but for preferences:
    1) P and J I prefer 90 degree
    MM Sterling prefer straight
    3) Strat type. I love it on my strat and straight is the only way.

4) If I was building? Might try the strat type. I really like that it is out of my way.
  11. Caca de Kick

Caca de Kick Supporting Member

I just find the Strat jack really unsightly. I've assembled Strats with them, but I don't see a benefit from it at all...just a way to ruin the perfectly good face of a guitar or bass.
  12. themarshall

themarshall

Pretty racy stuff.
  13. MarkoYYZ

I mean that the jack is fastened through the pickguard, which is a piece of plastic.

[​IMG]
  14. Bass Fund

Bass Fund Banned

I think there's more chance of the cable pulling out onstage, with a strat jack.
  15. Thrust Meatnozl

Thrust Meatnozl

I have all three types so my cords are 90 degree on one end, straight on the other (for the 'Strat' type jack)
  16. Kmonk

Kmonk

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist: Fender, Spector, Ampeg, Curt Mangan Strings
    +1
  17. schwartzbass

schwartzbass

Every bass that i have bought with a side jack or lipstick type
    jack i have had to replace th jack. Even the newer thunderbirds i have owned. the prong on the inside bends out and there is no way to get to it.
  18. superjesus

superjesus Supporting Member

Ibanez SRs are one of the notable modern basses which use an angled jack on the face of the instrument. It's basically a strat jack without the plate.

[​IMG]
  19. M.R. Ogle

M.R. Ogle Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Backstage Guitar Lab owner
    Yeah, NOT crazy about plastic pickguard-mounted jacks.
    [​IMG]
  20. sotua

sotua

If I was designing an instrument, I would do what the folks at charvel did for Guthrie Govan's guitar: side mounted strat type plug. Goes up to your strap loop and doesn't get in the way of your leg when sitting down. You can sorta see it here:

[​IMG]
  21. RBS_Johnson

RBS_Johnson

1) Not normally, but I don`t gig much. If I did, then I would use a 90 degree cable.
    2)I am kind of a fan of the side entry that most of my basses have.
    3)I like it, so it kind of appeals to me, but it is not a deal breaker. I have had P`s before(and have my Kent now with a metal control plate) with the straight in jack.
    4)I can`t say for sure about the strat jack plate, haven`t had one on a bass yet. When I reassemble my strat bass it will have one, so ask me again later. Between top straight in, and side entry, I would use side entry every time.

-Jake