1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TB Android app is working, you may need to uninstall/reinstall. The iPhone app is now updated and should work after you upgrade. TalkBass is responsive to any screen size, so we recommend using your mobile browser for full functionality.

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

Straight to the point bassist looking for band ad.

Discussion in 'Band Management [BG]' started by Starflyer59, Feb 13, 2014.

1. Starflyer59

Starflyer59

Disclaimer :This is not me!!! I'm just wondering what is your guys opinion on this fellow player.

I am a bassist from xxxxx island living here in xxxxx. It seems that as high in demand as bassists are everyone out here seems to be more interested in "try outs" for bassist and can't just stick to one who is dedicated. Treating the whole band thing like an American idle thing. Here's the deal. I'm good at bass. I have an understanding of rhythm and can keep time. I enjoy any kind of rock music that doesn't include hard rock or metal or punk. I'm more of an indie rock / country fan. I like tragically hip and similar kinds of music. I am looking for a band that likes to play and write originals. Looking for a band who has a pretty descent singer and some good grooves. Don't waste my time by just having me come in for a trial. Fact is I can play and I'm not going to be able to play your songs flawlessly off the bat. You'll have to go over chord progressions. I'm not going to come in and be able to play a show the next day. I'm not the "bass solos everywhere" kind of bassist. I play simple and solid bass. Using the root note from the guitar riff to bass my bass riffs off. I just need to learn your songs is all and have you be serious about wanting a dedicated bassist instead of just having "try outs". Give me a call if you think you have what I'm looking for and if you're serious about having a dedicated member in your band.
  2. dls119

dls119

Aside from misspelling "base," I kind of admire the guy's (or gal's) honesty.
  3. hennessybass

hennessybass Supporting Member

I like it. He's a dude who knows where he is at and knows what he wants. Nothing wrong with that.
  4. NicJimBass

NicJimBass The Kirk Hammett of bass guitar! Supporting Member

I dig it. Honest, to the point. I've been in his shoes, and can empathize. You go to a ton of "auditions" and get passed over for stupid reasons. He's trying to cut out the middle man and get to playing. I can admire that.
  5. mellowinman

mellowinman

My problems with this ad:

American idle
    descent

Overall capitalization and grammar. Seriously, have we become a nation of barbarians?
  6. GlennW

GlennW Supporting Member

He got rhythm right.

The guy's a nerd, find someone else.
  7. Ender_rpm

Ender_rpm Supporting Member

While I admire his honesty, he comes off as an @55. Of COURSE someone is going to want to audition bass players, or any other instrumental position. This guy may be able to play his butt off but if he is this big a douche in person I'd never want to hang out with him every week, or chill with him after a show, you know?

Also, its spelled American IDOL, not idle. So not just a douche, but a moron to boot. If you keep having the same issue with EVERYONE around you, maybe EVERYONE ELSE is not the issue?
  8. GlennW

GlennW Supporting Member

That might have been a low profile joke, along with "descent singer."
  9. Lobster11

Lobster11 Supporting Member Supporting Member

Agreed that there is something admirable about his honesty and straightforwardness. However, it seems to me that he "doth protest too much" about doing an audition. He almost seems to be saying that if you make him audition you can expect him to do poorly, but then you should invite him to join the band anyway. So I say good idea, but maybe a little over the top.
  10. mancefine

mancefine

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist: Orange Amplifiers and Spector Basses
    Actually he comes off as a guy that's been on Craigslist too often. I've posted similar posts after vague ones got me tons of replies and wasted 2 months of my time auditioning bands or meeting up with dudes only to find out they greatly exagerated how pro and where their band was.

The only way I found my band was to post an ad telling who I didn't want contacting me, and was as blunt and specific as possible. It sounds like the author of this ad was just burnt out on having his time wasted. I know if I was looking for a good band member this ad would strike me as someone that would be commited and isn't stupidly jaded like so many cough cough "musicians".
  11. philvanv

philvanv Gerbil Turds, Kitsap County Turd Core Supporting Member

Why the bagging on spelling. Some people are just poor spellers...

I would not meet w a musican wbo placed the ad because as stated above, sounds like his way is the only way...
  12. spz8

spz8

I completely agree. No, you should not have to be shown progressions at an audition. You should have done your homework, learned the material, and know the songs going in. Instead of wasting time complaining in an ad, bone up on your spelling and grammar!
  13. GlennW

GlennW Supporting Member

You mixed tenses there.

Shame on you.
  14. Ender_rpm

To be fair, I have encountered a couple situations where
    1. The band didn't have recorded material to learn from (Red Flag A)
    2. The current player wasn't aware he was being replaced, so they didn't want to put their material up in case that player stumbled across it (Red Flag B)
    3. The band was paranoid about someone "stealing" their hit song "DOn't guzzle the bong water, Pt 7" (Red Flags C and D)

So really, its not entirely the bands fault the guy wasted his time. :D

I too have posted "here's what I want, here is what I don't want" ads. I still get a ton of replies for genres I have NO interest in. So I don;t go to the auditions :)
  15. Ender_rpm

Different sentences, different tenses. Looks like you need to diagram some sentences sonny ;)
  16. spz8

spz8

No, he's correct, I will admit when I'm mistaken, but it's a rarity! ;) Past tense problem...

"You should have done your homework, learned the material, and knEw the songs going in."

At least I'm not taking out Craigslist rant ads. :p
  17. Lobster11

Lobster11 Supporting Member Supporting Member

Yeah, but did your what-I-don't-want list ever include "I don't want to audition"?

BTW, you used a semicolon where you should have used an apostrophe.... :bag:
  18. Ender_rpm

Ha, I am hoisted on my own petard ;)
  19. Nashrakh

Nashrakh

>>Implying it was ever any different
  20. Joe Louvar

Joe Louvar

FWIW: My first impression is, it's a young player and or to much work (hand holding) to whip them into shape.