1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TalkBass iphone/android app is NOT WORKING currently. We're working on it. Tapatalk IS working, so if you need to use an app, use Tapatalk. Try using your browser though - TalkBass is now 100% responsive to your phone/tablet screen size ;)

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

straightening cords / leads

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by matey, Nov 29, 2012.

1. matey

matey

any idea how to straighten them out or do all the kinks just work there way out?
    :help:
  2. No Neck Shrek

No Neck Shrek

No, the kinks won't come out, watch this -
  3. bongomania

bongomania Gold Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    owner, OVNIFX and OVNILabs
    The inner wires have a "memory", they tend to hold any kinks or twists that they are stuck in for a while. What you do first is let the cable drape loosely uncoiled on the floor or in the air, and then untwist any parts where it seems not to lay flat. There's an over-under technique for properly coiling a cable, and you can find a how-to video on Youtube just by searching on something like "proper cable coiling method". So use that technique, and while doing that, gently untwist and unkink the cable with one hand as you go.
  4. pflash4001

pflash4001

Sometimes the cable jacket is a bit less than flexible. What I do with those is lay them out across my driveway or draped on my backyard fence all day long on a hot day. There's no shortage of those here in Texas. After heating up like that the kinks in the jacket tend to come out or at least be less pronounced. You do need to roll them properly to keep the individual wires inside from twisting up, though. Another thing...don't cool cables around themselves for storage. I see people do that and it drives me nuts. Go to Lowes, spend $5 and get a roll of 50 Velcro cable ties. They work much better and keep your cables happy.
  5. fraublugher

fraublugher

My favorite is round strips of leather, around a quarter inch thick for tying .
  6. bongomania

bongomania Gold Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    owner, OVNIFX and OVNILabs
    Well, me too, but I was trying to keep my personal life out of it.
  7. tech21nyc

tech21nyc

Disclosures:
    Manufacturer: Tech 21
    My sound man gave me a little trick. On a warm sunny day I take the cables and lay them full lengthwise on my driveway. After they have been out for a period of time I roll them up and it seems the kinks are out. It does work. Cable ties are recommended. We use the velcro ones.
  8. pflash4001

pflash4001

Hey! That's what I said!!!^^^^
  9. pflash4001

pflash4001

I just retread my earlier post...it should read don't COIL cables around themselves not don't cool cables...
  10. warnergt

warnergt

That was good!
  11. ggunn

ggunn

FWIW, I don't use the roadie (over-under) wrap for storing cables. It doesn't hurt a cable to be wrapped with the single twist method as long as you shake the twists out when you unwrap it, and it won't tie itself in knots if an end falls through the loop in your gig box. I use the over-under wrap when I am dressing cables onstage that are already connected; it works great for that. Some folks also tie one end in an overhand knot around the coil to keep it together; I don't recommend that. Get some Velcro cable ties. Wrapping palm to elbow is right out.

YMMV, of course.
  12. elgecko

elgecko

FWIW, cloth covered/braided cables tend to be stiffer and more resistant to kinking. I also us the above linked over/under technique.
  13. tech21nyc

tech21nyc

Disclosures:
    Yeah, but you're in Texas...the driveways just don't sound the same. :)

Sorry I missed your post.
  14. pflash4001

pflash4001

I guess they sound better in Texas!
  15. tech21nyc

tech21nyc

Disclosures:
    Trudat. It must be the heat and molecular differences in the asphalt.
  16. pflash4001

pflash4001

17. ggunn

ggunn

Heh, heh. You said ass fault. Heh, heh.
  18. tech21nyc

tech21nyc

Disclosures:
    ;)
  19. iiipopes

iiipopes

The trick, as you coil up a cord, is to give each coil a quarter turn with the wrist as it is being coiled to keep it coiling smoothly without kinking.
  20. Ezmar

Ezmar

How careful do you need to be? Is it enough to just make sure you're holding the cord loosely so you're not forcing it into coils? Just letting it rotate naturally?