Strange b string sound

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by danmyung5535544, Feb 28, 2014.

1. danmyung5535544

danmyung5535544

I got sent here from hardware so here it goes
    I have a shecter stilleto extreme 5, it happens to be my first 35 inch scale bass, but i have one problem with it: the b string is unusually tight feeling, while it sounding muddy and having no sustain. I just put brand new rotosound stainless steel on it. The other strings are pretty good, but they feel sort of tight, aside from a set up , can i get away with a lighter gauge on all the strings due to the longer scale length? what would you all recommend for treble heavy metal that doesnt rely on clank? I played a used set up ibanez sr4 something 5 string, and the b felt as vivid as the other four strings. Please dont tell me that having a 35 inch scale means really tight sterile sounding strings, i got it on clearance and cannot return =(

2. SLaPiNFuNK

SLaPiNFuNK Gold Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Owner: BassStringsOnline.com
    The string gauges you are used to on a 34" instrument are going to feel tighter on the 35"

Going down to a lighter gauge will help offset this

3. Hobobob

Hobobob Don't feed the troll, folks. Supporting Member

Yes, the stiffness issue can be rectified with a smaller gauge set of strings. The muddy, lifeless low B is another problem tho. Make sure the nut is cut correctly, and check that there is a good break-angle over both witness points (nut and bridge). Other than that, it may just be a faulty string.

4. danmyung5535544

danmyung5535544

Im taking it for a set up as soon as my tax return gets here. Thanks for the peace of mind

5. Register to disable this ad