1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. Register a FREE Account to post and unlock tons of features!

Strange b string sound

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by danmyung5535544, Feb 28, 2014.

1. danmyung5535544

danmyung5535544

Aug 2, 2012
    I got sent here from hardware so here it goes
    I have a shecter stilleto extreme 5, it happens to be my first 35 inch scale bass, but i have one problem with it: the b string is unusually tight feeling, while it sounding muddy and having no sustain. I just put brand new rotosound stainless steel on it. The other strings are pretty good, but they feel sort of tight, aside from a set up , can i get away with a lighter gauge on all the strings due to the longer scale length? what would you all recommend for treble heavy metal that doesnt rely on clank? I played a used set up ibanez sr4 something 5 string, and the b felt as vivid as the other four strings. Please dont tell me that having a 35 inch scale means really tight sterile sounding strings, i got it on clearance and cannot return =(

2. SLaPiNFuNK

SLaPiNFuNK Supporting Member

Jul 28, 2006
    LA California
    Disclosures:
    Owner: BassStringsOnline.com
    The string gauges you are used to on a 34" instrument are going to feel tighter on the 35"

Going down to a lighter gauge will help offset this

3. TalkBass Friendly Advertisement

4. Hobobob

Hobobob Don't feed the troll, folks. Supporting Member

Jan 25, 2011
    Camarillo, CA
    Yes, the stiffness issue can be rectified with a smaller gauge set of strings. The muddy, lifeless low B is another problem tho. Make sure the nut is cut correctly, and check that there is a good break-angle over both witness points (nut and bridge). Other than that, it may just be a faulty string.

5. danmyung5535544

danmyung5535544

Aug 2, 2012
    Im taking it for a set up as soon as my tax return gets here. Thanks for the peace of mind