1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

strange color of rosewood on Fender Custom Shop?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by wfmandmusic, Nov 2, 2012.

1. wfmandmusic

wfmandmusic Banned

Well I received my Fender Custom Shop Precision yesterday. I'm curious, have any of you ever seen a rosewood fretboard that looked like this? I took the g string off so you could see it better.

Attached Files:

2. Rip Topaz

Rip Topaz

Disclosures:
    Beta tester for Positive Grid
    That's just some sapwood. Not terribly unusual, and nothing wrong with it.

It looks frickin awesome, by the way.

3. bobbybass85

bobbybass85

Yes, a High-end guitar builder by the name of Nik Huber frequently uses boards like that in his builds. I'm not sure what causes the color to change like that, but it does happen naturally.

My opinion: that would bug the living crap out of me... but that's just me being picky

4. Rip Topaz

Rip Topaz

Disclosures:
    It's just the inner part of the tree. Seriously, nothing to be concerned with as far as stability.

I've never seen a Fender with a rosewood board that had sapwood included, though. Very cool. I'd rock the living crap out of that bass!

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. mdogs

mdogs Supporting Member

Ya, that is sweet, check out Roscoes, he does some amazing fingerboards with sap woods that are seriously out of control...

7. mp40smg

mp40smg

I like it. But Most people tend to want the FB to be perfectly uniform w/o any color/ grain variation.

It seems like this would be something that a person would pay a lot extra for from Fender or be completely pissed they got stuck with it. Does not look like something that a person would get used to.

8. gordon5377

gordon5377

It definitely adds character and would be a conversation starter for other players, that's for sure. What I noticed: is that just a reflection or is there some serious crazing going on in the finish near the upper cutaway?

9. Rip Topaz

Rip Topaz

Disclosures:
    The only reason it seems weird to me is that since its a Custom Shop bass, you'd think they'd ask you if you wanted them to include sapwood in the fretboard instead of just doing it.

10. pnchad

pnchad

do a search here and elsewhere about ebony and the current state of availability of many species

the days of being able to source perfectly colored examples of these woods are over - be glad you can still get a rosewood fingerboard

11. wfmandmusic

wfmandmusic Banned

Yes that's crazing you see. It's a limited edition 1960 closet classic built in 2011.

12. mp40smg

mp40smg

I could accept that logic for a standard off the shelf instrument.

But on a one-off hand made "custom shop" instrument that does not seem like an acceptable answer. I would expect that the person doing the fretboard looked through the selection of woods and thought that this piece would look "awesome" and used it specifically for that reason.

IMO, this is a very subjective love it or hate it situation. This does not seem like something that should just appear w/o the person ordering it knowing about it. This does not seem like it would be a welcome unexpected surprise.

13. Musicman20

Musicman20

I agree it is an odd one. Personally I wouldn't like it, and the crazing mentioned above does seem quite apparent....I'd get that shipped back.

14. awilkie84

awilkie84

The crazing is supposed to be there.
    As for the fingerboard, I like it! Very unique look & won't harm your tone.

15. Will Kelly

Will Kelly Supporting Member

I wouldnt want a board like that on a P-bass. It is beautiful, but I would not want that on my own personal bass.

16. thisSNsucks

thisSNsucks Supporting Member

I had a MusicMan Bongo with the same thing.

17. aln413

aln413

Very unique for a Fender!! Way kewl, a keeper for sure!!!!

18. Marial

Marial Three Weeks of Freedom Start Right NOW Gold Supporting Member

I dig it. It's a reminder that the instrument is built from natural materials.

19. StrangerDanger

StrangerDanger Neo Maxie Zoom Dweebie Supporting Member

I like it too. Very unique for a very standard looking bass. Looks like a keeper.

20. Chef

Chef Moderator Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Staff Reviewer; Bass Gear Magazine
    This!
    I really like it, but, it's certainly "not the expected norm," and being asked would have been good.
    That's going to be a "polarizing" piece of wood, and not everyone will like it.

21. pacojas

pacojas "FYYA BUN"

i'd gladly trade necks with you!!!:)

(if i owned a Pbass)

EDIT: btw,... how does it play/sound?