Strange Fret buzz problem?

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by Precision101, Dec 28, 2013.

1. Precision101

Precision101

So I have my bass set up great and feels perfect but I've had this problem where I play the G string and on the 7th fret D there is a terrible woody type buzz but It only buzzes when I fret with my index and not any other fingers. Or when I play it hard enough sometimes (I'm an extremely light player) It doesn't seem to come through the amp (sometimes) but it is getting annoying.
    What is this?

2. Jonithen

Jonithen Supporting Member

I actually like my action to the point where I can induce some buzz at will with an aggressive hit. I'm new to doing set ups and look forward to what more experienced people will have to say on your issue. It seems odd that it isn't consistent regardless of fretting finger - inconsistent pressure or placement come to mind, but these are wild guesses.

3. Precision101

Precision101

Yeah part of my index finger doesn't sit right on the string but it's so hard not fret it like that!

4. Zooberwerx

Zooberwerx Gold Supporting Member

Could be back-buzz between the fretted note and nut. If you fret with your middle finger on the 7th and index finger on the 6th, does the buzz disappear? Another sure-fire diagnostic test is to place a small wad of aluminum foil in the G string nut slot, replace the string, and tune to pitch. Repeat the test with the index finger on the 7th fret (D). Is the buzz still present?

Riis

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. Precision101

Precision101

I'll definitely try this